Skip to main content

Recidivism on a Pit Bull's Rap Sheet

The weekend finally over, the animal shelter opened up today.  I dreaded taking "Tipper", our self-invited weekend guest, to the shelter. I imagined the volunteer taking one look at Tipper and saying, "Oh that's just great, just what we need, another uncastrated pit bull! And this one requiring veterinary expenses on top of that!" Oh geez, would that mean 'the back room' for this sweet monster?

I had to lift Tipper into the van because of his sore foot. He was lighter than I thought. He just sat there. Not a squirm out of him. I rubbed his head all the way to the shelter. There was a stoic resignation that was disturbing. Did he know something that I didn't?

It was the opening of the work week at the animal shelter, and the dogs were acting out their anarcho-libertarian political leanings. They were running loose and barking their heads off. The place stunk. Apparently they don't like being ignored all weekend.

The volunteer opened the door of my van and immediately said, "I know this dog. He's been here before." The volunteer looped a leash over Tipper's head and led him through "processing." In fact, there was even a grim humor to ol' Tipper's behavior. He seemed to know the route.

Perhaps the reader remembers the Coen Brothers' classic hit movie from the 1980s, "Raising Arizona". Recall Nicholas Cage's low-key, routine response to being re-processed and re-incarcerated in the same ol' prison for his same ol' crime of knocking off convenience stores.

Remember him appearing one more time in front of the committee for his parole review. "There's a name for people like you: recidivism. REEpeat OAF-fender."

The volunteer gave me Tipper's rap sheet. But it was good news actually. He was born across the street from the animal shelter. These days he was owned by a guy with an actual job, which is no small luxury in this impoverished part of Colorado. The owner was prone to hiking in my camping area. In fact he worked for the forest service. So why had Tipper run away? The volunteer suggested thunder. Also there is some gun fire up there.

The volunteer said that they would get the bad boy over to the vet, who was right next door to the animal shelter. I gave a small donation. The volunteer mentioned that the law had recently been changed in Colorado so that animal abuse was now a felony. That didn't really have anything to do with the case in question, it was just an aside.

Or maybe it did. I learned that Tipper's real name was "Sponge Bob." Good grief. 

______________________________

The animal shelter took my name and phone number. I'm not asking to be fawned over, like I'm some mighty hero or something. But it would be nice to get a simple 'Thank you' call from the pit bull's owner. But past experience has shown me that the System does not work like that. 

Since I was in the animal shelter why not have the fun of checking out their "inventory?" Along the way I stopped back at "Sponge Bob's" cage and put my fingers through the chain link fence. That mighty maw was waiting just on the other side. He gave my fingers a soft lick. 

What is that famous quote by Mark Twain that ends in the punchline 'and that is the difference between a man and a dog?' 

Comments

Jim and Gayle said…
Glad Sponge Bob's story had a happy ending, in spite of his name. I'm hoping his owner simply calls him Bob!
At first glance of the photo of your bike on the ground I thought you had crashed. If we camp with you next month are we still permitted to do some hiking;-) See you soon.
Gayle
edlfrey said…
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Thanks, Ed, I knew you would come through for me.
Chris said…
Sponge Bob was lucky a dog lover found him. Perhaps his master will provide a chip or at least an ID tag now. Were you tempted to get a youngish companion for Coffee Girl while there?
No, I wasn't really tempted to get a second dog. It is hard to handle two dogs when they are on a leash unless you train them into little robots, which doesn't appeal to me. Similarly with mountain biking. When my dog is leashed to my belt, it works well. But two dogs would be a mess.
XXXXX said…
"So why did Tipper run away?" you queried with the shelter employee. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he was just gallivanting around, having fun, seeking adventure, meeting some new friends, etc. and might not be so worried about finding his way back to his owner. Dogs don't know they are "owned", you know. They don't know they aren't supposed to "run away." Just as there are differences in people.....some people stay rooted, remarkably close to where they were born, and others are out and about and get bored with one spot pretty quickly, so it goes with dogs. Some dogs are typically more bound to their owners, like collie/shepherd types (like yours) and others are not. I don't know a lot about pit bulls but this guy sure looked happy in the pic you took of him. We live in a society where all dogs must be controlled but dogs don't know that.
I would like to get the story on this dog and owner, but that is probably impossible, or I would make an enemy.

The best that I can get out of it is just the pleasant surprise of knowing that there are sweetie-pie pit bulls out there!