Skip to main content

Sometimes an "Emergency" Can Just Be a Problem to Solve

Most of us have had an automobile accident or two. I'll bet you've launched into a retelling of the accident, only to notice that your audience has started fidgeting, has lost eye contact with you, and then changed the subject.

Why is that? Lack of empathy on their part? Poor listening skills, short attention spans? Or was the story teller too animated and self-absorbed?
____________________________________________________

In either case, I haven't had an accident; but I did manage to spin out and lose traction near the top of a mountain in the Gunnison CO area; it was the first time in 16 years, and with two wheel drive, that's not a bad record. Now the question is, can I write about it with more efficacy than is typical in "horror stories."

This wasn't a reckless stunt. I had probed the slope the day before on my mountain bike, and had let out half the air in the rear (drive) tires of the tow vehicle. And there was good motivation: the most scenic dispersed campsite in years, and with two Verizon towers lighting up the mountain.

I managed to get over 95% of it. Then one of the drive wheels started spinning, which instantly produced a hole. At that point you're sunk. (Why don't all two wheel vehicles have limited slip differentials? The option only costs $300-400.)

Ahh dear, I can't wait to replace my old tow vehicle with one as new as model years 2010 or 2011, because they all have Traction-Control as standard equipment, even at the low trim level.

And then it started happening. Frustration turned into mild panic. How do you get out of a mess like this? Next time I'll try to educe general principles of more use to the reader. I haven't accomplished as much as desired when it comes to the balancing act of:
  1. Avoiding a too detailed, too personal, and self-absorbed description of a "horror story," (while the reader sniffs boasting), or
  2. Avoiding too general or dogmatic platitudes about risk and panic.

Comments

Wayne (Wirs) said…
Yeah, it sucks to get stuck... but only once in 16 years is outstanding!
Sondra said…
Since Im a country girl and have been all my life I know about every way to get stuck and to get unstuck...jacking the stuck wheel side helps, using the floor mat creates a great traction spacer...rocking back n forth, yada yada, and in the end we are never really stuck, we have our 2 legs!
edlfrey said…
You have either got yourself unstuck after the panic subsided or you got lucky and were in direct contact with one or both of the Verizon towers. If it were the second then you were able to have some expensive help come pull you out.
You ain't stuck till you have to go for help. :)
Bob said…
Sometimes you can lightly engage the e-brake (parking brake, or whatever you call it) to try and get that spinning wheel to stop, throwing the torque over to the other side. It's a bit tricky, and the one time I tried it, I was either skilled or lucky, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Maybe in another 16 years you can try it out?
XXXXX said…
I have a similar experience with medical symptoms. I am healthy so I have no known cause for panic but still it can happen automatically whenever a relatively harmless symptom occurs in this low threshold being (low threshold because I'm healthy and not used to dealing with symptoms.)
That seems an aptly similar experience to yours.
My take on that is that it's the fear of death instinct. Of course, neither you nor I were at death's door in these situations but the instincts of the body are automatic (and unconscious) and early detection is built into the system. It's not an accident that our species dominates the planet.
"Frustration turns into mild panic"......that is indeed how it goes.
Frustration because one cannot control their environment suitably for one's purpose.
Mild panic because of that same thing, being out of control, and fear of consequences if one cannot get back into control.
Fear and panic can interfere with cognition, the ability to actually figure one's way out of the situation in the best way. I think it takes practice and training. I guess that's what's supposed to happen in the military. And with meditation. I prefer the latter.
Sorry if I appear to be overly dramatic, something you wanted to avoid, but I don't think so. We really don't like looking at our vulnerabilies, especially our ultimate vulnerability..
edlfrey said…
You have got it EXACTLY right! You should have seen the mess I got myself into - HA.