Skip to main content

Update: How to Enjoy a Windy Day


Consider for a moment how much boondocking can enhance the RV camping experience, compared to the sterile non-adventure of suburb-imitating RV parks.

Likewise, any kind of non-motorized activity can enhance your enjoyment of the outdoors.

It makes sense to combine these two things -- boondocking and exercise  -- and hope that 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.'

Yet look at how rare this combination is in mainstream RV culture, with its attitude of "windshield tourism" and "channel surfing with gasoline." Do they really think the RV Lifestyle is 365 days a year of scenery vacationing?

When I got back on the road last August I claimed to be looking for ways to be a better camper. This wasn't just an empty platitude. Perhaps I have now found my main project/mission/cause: to build a loose caravan of RV boondockers-who-exercise. If not me, well, then somebody needs to do it. The goal is a three-way combination of group camping + boondocking + exercise.

Coffee Girl (my 5 year old kelpie) and I had the sort of outing today that was perfect as far as it went. But it would have been even more fun if other human and canine critters would have been along.

We started from camp at 8500 feet and mountain biked to a cell tower mountain at over 10000 feet. You've heard me say it before: when in doubt as to how to start enjoying a new area, try mountain biking or hiking up the service road to the nearest cell tower or radio tower.

Soon we were enjoying a showy yellow flower that wasn't here two days ago.


Looking at these photos makes me realize how good digital cameras are, and yet, purely visual beauty misses the point. The real pleasure comes from the physiological  -- and then psychological -- changes that occur when you are exercising. It's all about mood alteration. If somebody besides my dog would have been along, the experience would have been better yet.


When a lad's eyelashes are fluttering and his heart is palpitating with meadows and flowers...


...is there any way to top it? Probably not, unless it's the sight of...


...4 bar wireless-internet service at 10,000 feet, and the destination of the day.

It was no small thing that the cool wind kept the flies off of us all the way up. It's easy to overlook the advantages of wind, but summer bugs and summer heat can cure you of that. In fact, of all the challenges such as heat, cold, wind, bad roads, rain, etc., insects are my least favorite.

Coffee Girl and I are good at what we do. It's high time to start sharing this with others who might enjoy it in person. I am bored with armchair travelers, vicarious traveler addicts, and free postcard consumers on the internet.

 

Comments

Unknown said…
If a picture is worth a thousand words then experience is surely worth a thousand pictures.
Andrea said…
Dear Coffee Girl,

My Mom says I am coming to visit you in Sept. I am a silly big boy dog and will share all of my toys with you. I love to run and play.

Your friend, Uri the Rottweiler

ps I have my hiking boots, Doggols, and Mr. Bill already packed.
Anonymous said…
Hey Boonie, this is my first reply on your blog. I like the wind myself. I find it soothing. So, okay; when I get out that way, I'll go hiking with you and Coffee Girl, and enjoy natures bounty. Linda in Ky.
Linda and Andrea, hope you do show up.
TomInBellaVista said…
Not to say that I expect to connect with you, but your new quest is inspiring. I am planning to spend a couple of months in the Southwest next winter, and it would be so great to find others who would enjoy just what you describe. For some time, years actually, I have found myself adapting to my wife/partners interests which include less and less physical activity every year. It would be wonderful to take a hike/ ride a bike with someone while my wife whiles away the afternoon with her nook.
Here's hoping you inspire lots of others. Boondocking and exercise really sounds like the ticket.
Tom, it would be nice to camp/bike/hike with you if you are in the area. I am open to passers-through.

Even better, I'd like to hear from full time RVers who are actually on the road right now, and in the Southwest.
Teri said…
Can you give some suggestions for what type of mountain bike to buy. I currently have an old fashioned beach cruiser and need something better in this area around Mesa Verde.

Thanks, Teri

night.day.studio@gmail.com
Teri, I think a full suspension mountain is necessary for the Mountain West. If there is no suspension in the rear, even a washboard forest road will pound the crap out of you.

Other than than that, most mountain bikes are fine; any will do. It's just a matter how much you want to spend. I think Jamis has the most bang for the buck. Don't get suckered into the super expensive ones.
Teri said…
Thanks for the information about mountain bikes. I may look at some this weekend.
Jim and Gayle said…
Don't want to encourage too many people to get out and bike or hike. Usually when we get over a mile or so down a trail we rarely see anyone else, which is how we like it.
Maybe we'll run into you again one of these days so you can join us for a hike.