Skip to main content

Boonie Meets Bambi

Springerville, AZ. On a sunset walk one night, Coffee Girl and I crossed a large pasture at 9200 feet. Dark forests lined the edge of it. At that edge she went looking for trouble, and you know what dogs usually find when they go looking for trouble...

Something was behind the downed dead log. It made a horrendous sound and started moving. Try as I might, no words adequately describe that sound. The creature stood up, as Coffee Girl ran circles around it, and barked her head off. After panicking for a couple seconds I finally got a view of the monster:



But where was Momma? Was she just off looking for food while "Bambi" stayed behind and hid next to a log? Or was Bambi a young orphan and about to starve to death or, if she was lucky, get eaten by a predator?

OK I might as well admit that I felt an urge to bring Bambi food and water, except that I had no idea of what kind of food would be accepted. But more importantly Bambi is wildlife, not a pet. The predator or scavenger that would eventually benefit from her meat had as much right to eat as Bambi did, despite having been overlooked by Walt Disney Corp. So I resisted the urge to "help". I just let nature takes its course.

Comments

Anonymous said…
After last summers big fire in the area you are in and around now, just wandering what it all looks like now?
I'm not in the fire damaged area. Even last year's fire didn't burn an entire area to the ground. There are green spots.
Unknown said…
The fawn's defense is no odor and to remain motionless. No worries. Its mother knows where the fawn is and will return to nurse and perhaps move the fawn to a new location.