Skip to main content

Wilson Sleek Cradle Booster

I really enjoyed my stay at Glenwood, especially at their public library since it goes a long way toward wiping out the hole in the Verizon coverage there. And they allow visitors to check out books and DVDs, which encourages you to stay longer.


  It's always fun to drop in on the Cat Walk again:




On the drive from hot Glenwood NM to cool Luna NM we passed a classic New Mexico wreck. There was nothing special about it except that I love all such wrecks.


Using my notes from the past I chose a boondocking site near Luna NM that is quite high. We just barely made it in. Then I walked over to my RV community camper, pulled a sad face, and apologized to her for only being at 7000 feet. She was gracious about it, and promised not to rub my nose in it, too bad. As it turned out, the GPS needed a little longer to find the satellites through the ponderosas. We're actually at 8250 feet.

It's easy to see the hotspot of the Whitewater/Baldy/Gila fire near Mogollon/Glenwood NM. Thank goodness it is downwind of us!


Thanks to having my own personal electronics tester, I recently procured a Wilson Sleek cradle booster amplifier, which I use in conjunction with a Verizon (Novatel 2200) mi-fi. Today it proved its worth. Our new campsite is in the Luna NM area, with the nearest Verizon cell tower being about 15 miles away. The 3G (EVDO) signal is -105 decibels. (Hold the cursor over the network bars on the VZ Access Manager box.) You could call it zero or one bar, out of four bars total.

Then I slid the mi-fi into the Wilson Sleek cradle booster amplifier. The signal went up to -95 decibels: that's a 10 decibel improvement, which is a lot! Or call it a one-and-a-half bar improvement. (I'm only using it with the 5 inch tall antenna that magnetically mounts to a steel surface, such as the trailer frame.)

Thus our little RV community is able to enjoy internet (and forest fire warnings) at an eye-popping location, thanks to the Wilson Sleek.

Comments

Sondra said…
My home is in the woods Im surrounded by heavy thick oak, pine, hickory forest, IM not sure how far the closest tower is...probably a couple miles and I get a good clear 5 bars from my Verizon hotspot I hang it in the window...its awesome the only alternative I have out here is Dial UP! Im glad to know there is a booster!!
NM is a beautiful state!
Andrea said…
Good Morning,

Hope you are enjoying your high altitude.

Some questions.....
Where do you fill with fresh water and dump your tanks in the area ? And, at what cost ?

Would you post a picture or two of the roads going into your new boon docking spots.....it would help me understand if I would be able to navigate them with my 27 ft motorhome.

Thank you, Andrea in MN
Andrea, there are RV dumps at a few truck stops and waste water treatment plants. But it takes less looking around just to go to a low price RV park (or New Mexico state park) every 2-3 weeks, pay to camp, dump, and get water.

I only buy water in the desert locations in the winter; 25 cents per gallon. In the upland locations in the summer I just get water from a spigot on the side of the gas station when I buy gasoline.

A photo of boondocking access roads wouldn't help you much; dirt roads change with the weather. The rear overhang on a 27 foot Class C makes it a non-ideal camping machine, but there are always campsites that are smooth enough. You just have to look harder and accept the trade-offs.
Andrea said…
Thanks for the response.

My Class A is loaded down and a hitch hauler on back to boot.

Here in MN most small towns have free dump and water at a city site. Especially up North towards the Boundry Waters area. They want us up there !

I am headed up there to fish as soon as I can finish up chores at my house.

Have a good summer.

Andrea in MN