Skip to main content

A Project for an RV Camping Group

Although there are boondockers who praise Solitude for the sake of itself, I disagree. Solitary camping for me is largely the result of two things: 
1) most men are paired with a woman who thinks boondocking is uncomfortable and unsafe, as well as boring since it's a 5 hour drive to the nearest Coach or Nieman-Marcus. 
2) most rigs are not designed for, or well adapted to, the needs of boondocking. (Point 2 is partly the result of Point 1.)

Therefore if you want to boondock, young man, my advice is to stay single and get a good dog. Hence I usually had to camp alone, by necessity.

But if we do manage to found a core group of boondocking outdoorsmen, it would make a great group project to "design" a suitable rig for our lifestyle. The RV industry builds rigs for a typical customer whose desires are very different from ours.

There are two basic approaches: 1) Select and combine a system of mass-produced rigs/vehicles/appliances that are readily available and repairable, or 2) Go into Do-It-Yourself mode.

You've probably seen extremely customized rigs that the owner was very proud of, and rightly so in one sense. For some guys, this is a labor of love. But how do you roll into a standard auto parts store or repair shop in a small town in the mountains and effect repairs on a "cute" or exotic rig? How would you insure all those hundreds of hours of work?

The Do-It-Yourselfer is also prone to the traps of reinventing the wheel as well as underestimating the power of mass production compared to the extreme slowness of home-making everything.

I'll assume that most readers -- being experienced and well-seasoned fellows -- have already agreed that Approach 1 is preferred whenever possible, and that Approach 2 should be reserved for filling in the interstices of the overall project.

Try to imagine the brainstorming of a group of real RV campers, as opposed to mainstream RVers at a Gathering. First we might use the "Lessons Learned" technique. All of our rigs have had features that were a pain in the neck. At the very least, a better RV should avoid such mistakes. The "negatives" are so concrete that we should quickly inventory them and then move on to the positive aspects of designing the ultimate camping machine. Obviously the positive aspects will eventually fade out into the subjective and uncertain.

I've already learned from other people's rigs: the first time I saw a fifth wheel trailer with an unusually small number of windows that were also below average in size, I thought the fellow had made a mistake. But he was right. Excessive window area is a classic mistake for RVs. (The RV industry makes this mistake year after year because it helps make the rig look larger and cheerier at the point of sale. Gullible customers expect large windows to make their RV look like a cute little McMansion-on-wheels.) Windows are one step better than a hole in the wall, but they cook you in the summer and freeze you in the winter. But yours are darkly tinted, you say? Fine -- touch that darkly tinted window on a hot sunny day; now touch the insulated wall. You won't have trouble feeling the difference.

Many people would be impressed if they had a chance to step into an A-frame folding trailer, as I had recently with Box Canyon Blog. You can only get so far by looking at websites or RV forums. You need to see it in the flesh and talk to a non-sales-oriented owner.

I always study other trailer's tire size and ground clearance. The 13 inch tires and low ground clearance that my ultralight travel trailer came with were a serious nuisance  -- in town as well as in the outback. Fortunately it also came with a compensating feature: under-rated axles. When I bent both axles I had the trailer lifted 2.5 inches, which made a world of difference. But in the future, I will insist on 15 inch tires like some travel trailers have.

It also helps to use rubber couplings on the holding tank's drain tubes -- the drain plumbing is very exposed on a low trailer. Either something is allowed to slip off, after hitting a rock, or it gets destroyed.

I would love to have van-people in my camping group. One of the people in my current Kodger Caravan has a van, and it has convinced me of its advantages. But I don't care for the excessive stuff they they try to cram into too small a space.

Arguably, the best camping machine for a single traveler is a spartan E-150 Ford cargo van (i.e., no windows), 2 wheel drive, with a high top, and no added exterior trim or storage. It serves as your den, bedroom, and kitchen. Then you pull a small, single-axle cargo trailer behind it, which stores toys, water, propane, batteries, generator, gas can and automotive chemicals, and perhaps serves as the shower. And it needs high clearance!

It helps to have a portfolio of rigs around when you are thinking of the next rig or the next improvement on the current rig. Otherwise your mind stays trapped in its solitude or is at the mercy of misinformation and sales-hype on the internet. 


Most of the time we get stuck on solving some problem, it's because we overlooked something right at the beginning. Having other people around can help a lot; they can challenge your assumptions.

Comments

Bob Giddings said…
I look forward to more summations of the campfire chats you are having on this subject. And maybe references to bloggy summations by the other participants.

BG, who just bought a 17 foot trailer.
Unknown said…
In solitary camping and stick built living, there are times when solitude suits and times when it doesn't.

I'm not out there yet so I don't know, but as I look for suitable rigs a major criteria is how boondockable (is that a word?) they are. Or if not, how easily and cheaply they can be converted to comfortably boondock.

As far as the mass produced vs custom thing, it would be wonderful if manufacturers catered to the boondockers. But is that reasonable? I mean what percentage of RVers boondock most of the time and of those what percentage have the cash or resources to plunk down on a shiny new model? I would think the most practical option is to start with something "close enough," then tweak it to your needs as time, money and expertise allow.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm excited to get out on the road with y'all!
Maria, I did exactly what you said, "start with something close enough" and then tweak it.

But both the van and the trailer are nearing the end of their lives, so now I want to step on a new rig and "nail it".
Unknown said…
You just made me realize something about mobile living. While a non-mobile dwelling can be home for a lifetime, a mobile one generally can't.

Which means I have to go into it knowing that my home has a limited lifespan, and figure that into the equation. Thanks for the insight :)
Unknown said…
Do not underestimate the power of double-paned windows with two separate layers of limo-tinting!
Wayne (Wirs) said…
My two, impractical cents: While in "work mode" (writing books or code and staying in one place for up to a month), I love my current truck/trailer combo for the room and ability to disconnect.

But for "explorer mode" - to be able to explore wilderness, towns, cities and just plop down anywhere for the night - I like Glenn's all-in-one rig.
Teri said…
"Earthroamer.com". I think this is the best machine for RVing, I am trying to save up enough money to buy one. A used one costs about 5x what I paid for my current rig. But I would not have to spend any money to upgrade or change anything on it.
Unknown said…
I think you should check thiscar trailers for sale, you will find in expensive and durable rig and trailer...
Randy said…
Bingo Boonie: Well said. Count me on board the project to collectively brainstorm or open source design a more perfect camper.
Jeff Ammon said…
Being a frugal,low income,doityourselfer,I utilized my GMC 3500 w/alum. flatbed(from my landscape buisness).Then found a 69 Avion tk.camper(think airstream style).By extending the sidewalls down and widening the floor that gave me a flatbed camper pod.Gutting the inside allowed me to put in what I wanted,(40g.tanks,compressor fridge,propane stove,cat.heater,shower,toilet,400w.solar,etc.). Biggest worry? How will she drive and handle. Turns out, just fine. Is it perfect? Hell no! Is it unique? Hell yea! I think of it as my 'Poorman's Earthroamer'. And I couldn't have done it without the inspirational and insightful writing from you guys,(Boonie,Randy,Lloyd,Mark,Glenn,Brian,etc.).Thank You! Love to come 'Wander&Wonder' with you all for a time.
Jeff, I would like to see a photo of your rig. You could email me one at occupaton_of_independence@yahoo.com .

Or better yet, why don't you show up, live and on-stage, and camp with us so we can learn from it.
Barb said…
Knowing I was going to boondock as much as possible, I bought a used 24-foot Class C. Perfect size for just me and my little dog. No slides, nothing fancy, I wanted it as simple as possible.

I added the solar panels I needed, two golf cart deep cycle batteries, a catalytic heater, a Sirius portable radio and a memory foam mattress topper for the over-cab bunk and I'm very comfortable. I can go (and turn around) just about anywhere. I'm not 4-wheel drive or high clearance, but I haven't needed to be.

It's the perfect size inside and outside; after a year on the road it's been perfect.