Skip to main content

Democracy and Football: the Gods that Failed

An optimist would say that it can only get better from now on: that America has hit absolute bottom in this year's election. For my part, I feel pretty good about ignoring the long primaries season. Just think how much cultural pollution my mind was spared, because of that. Besides, thinking about politics just makes a person sour and angry.

I still think the best way to handle this frustration is to channel it into reading history. Look at the two candidates America has chosen to run for president, and ask yourself if you were brainwashed in school about how democracy really works, and why it was so great.

Perhaps I should read the book, "Democracy: The God that Failed." But I am afraid the book may be academic and full of abstruse libertarian theology.
_______________________________________

The older you get, the easier it is to be content with small accomplishments. I am feeling pleased with myself for ignoring the NFL professional football season, so far. Actually it makes no sense to follow any professional sport until the playoff season starts.

Perhaps I should thank Colin Kaepernik. I actually admired him a little bit for having the substance to make his protest, although there is no reason why a football player's political opinions are worth paying special attention to.

At least it started me thinking about how ridiculous the NFL is: its overpaid athletes, the commercials, ticket prices, and how freakish the sport is. Kaepernik was right to have his little protest. Now let me have mine.

A couple weeks ago, when this story was big news, I was pleased and impressed that a couple pundits on the internet actually got around to asking, "Why do we sing the tribal war song at the beginning of an entertainment show, anyway?"

The worst thing about the NFL is how the US Military/State uses it as a recruitment and advertising platform. I feel like vomiting at their jet fighter flyovers, the military bands, and the hokey ceremonies honoring the troops for "protecting our freedoms."

The last time an American soldier made any sacrifice to protect our freedom was 1945, and I'm tempted to say 1865. ALL of the wars during my lifetime have been wars of choice, on other people's soil.

But I do miss the NFL cheerleaders. How I would like to grab them by the...  Oh wait, now we are talking about politics again.

Comments

Ed said…
OK, this was a payback for my political hijack of your other posting.

You have now ventured into my blog theme of political commentary - sort of tit-for-tat (is that 'talking about politics again' -HA).
'History' is one of the sub-themes listed in the sub-title of this blog. I no longer list 'Politics' in the subtitle.
Anonymous said…
I know it sounds fawning, but, damn, everything you wrote today is absolutely spot on - to my way of thinking.

Chris
If you wanted to be fawning, you would have said, "As usual, everything you wrote today..." (grin)
Vanholio! said…
If you study any history past K-12 indoctrination, you figure out pretty quick that our ancestors were as full of sh** as we are now. The good old days weren't.
I'm not sure I agree with the "were as" in your comment. Countries and civilizations have a few generations worth of brilliance and ascendancy, followed by slow decline, and then sudden collapse. America is phasing out of slow decline and into the sudden collapse phase.

Much of the world probably thinks, "Good Riddance."