Skip to main content

The Ultimate Heater for Winter Camping

Winter campers might argue about what the best kind of heater is, but frankly, I don't like using a heater at all -- for the obvious reasons of fuel cost, safety, and condensation. Besides, it seems wimpy.

There is another approach to winter heating. I owe this success to a camping neighbor. He doesn't buy expensive leather outfits for riding his Harley, but instead wears insulated bib overalls from Walmart. Well of course, that is what mechanics, construction workers, and oilfield workers wear in the winter. 

(I love having useful conversations with camping neighbors. Especially when they mention some trick-of-the-trade that I have overlooked. These conversations are so much more valuable than the usual small talk, long-winded stories about the past, personality salesmanship, etc.)

I have never owned bib overalls. But I took his advice and bought a pair of Walls brand from Walmart for $70. The insulation is not really thick, but they aren't supposed to be a snowmobile suit. I was sold the second I saw those metal zippers running down the leg.


This morning, my unheated trailer started out at 40 F, as usual. Once you slap them puppies on, and put a jacket over the top, it seems foolish to use a heater and generate all that condensation and waste all that propane. Why hell, with a sheet of sleeping bag foam on the ground at night, you could sleep outdoors with these things on.

The other campers will have to get used to seeing me strut over the mesa at sunrise and sunset, "modelling" the ultimate in desert winter boondocking chic. I'm not sure that women-campers are all that impressed with my advice, but little girls in kindergarten sure look cute in these things. 

Of course big girls can look pretty cute too, in bibs. Here's Jill Ireland pleasing Mr. Spock with her outfit.

Comments

John V said…
OK, time for my usually pithy comments:
#1 You could buy those things at a garage sale for $5
#2 What does poor Coffee Girl get to keep warm?
#3 Guys who drive white cargo vans shouldn't make comments about how cute little girls look.
:-)
I never park my white cargo van near schools.
Ed said…
Question #2 - Fur! kaBLOONIE may be a curmudgeon but he is not cheap.
Are they waterproof? Do they hold up in the rain? But I guess if it's raining, it's probably warm enough you wouldn't need them, eh?
I don't think they have received a waterproofing treatment, but you could always spray them with Scotchguard.
Sondra said…
...the hardest part is getting out of your sleeping bag to get dressed...I had some COLD nights up in Oregon this Sept when I was camping up there in my van.
There is a simple fix for that problem, Sondra: just sleep in your clothes!
Anonymous said…
Do the bib overalls match your hair shirt?

Chris
There is no connection, Chris. One is uncomfortable, whereas bibs are quite comfortable.