Skip to main content

Resurrecting a Tired Old Figure of Speech

A multi-fingered canyon system is just as interesting to explore at the top as at the bottom.



You can walk out on the peninsulas to the point where two canyon fingers join. But you can get a bit nervous with these mudstone (?) walls:

Don't walk too close to the cliffs when they are made of mudstone or whatever this crap is!

Incipient "colapso" on a canyon wall.

I keep a safe distance between myself and the cliff. But how can I know what that distance is?

One day I looked across the canyon and saw a crumbling isthmus on the adjacent peninsula. (The peninsula widened out again as you passed over the isthmus.) I became obsessed with knowing whether the isthmus was continuous and walkable. But I am always developing these little obsessions.


Coffee Girl checks out the tenuous isthmus in mesa caprock. I have to be doing something right to become obsessed about things like this.

It turned out to be not quite continuous, but still walkable. You are on a narrow finger of mesa cap-rock that separates two separate fingers of the canyon system. So you must step carefully.

Talk about the 'slippery slope' metaphor/cliche made real and fresh! When I walk along places like this I wonder how far off the high spot you could step before you slide on crumbling mudstone. And once that happens, you stumble onto a lower spot where it collapses easier than the first mis-step. And so on. It would only take a couple mistakes like this before you slide continuously, and then finally go over the side of a vertical or overhanging  cliff.

The cliff is only 20 to 80 feet high. But that would be enough to put you in the hospital or the morgue. Thinking about real situations like this makes the old figure of speech so forceful and powerful again. I wonder who first used it?

Comments

Looks like a great place to explore. Are the rattlers asleep now?
The rattlers are sleeping even in a warm place like Yuma until 01 March.

It takes a dozen hikes or rides before you feel like you are repeating with this canyon system.
If I bought myself a Christmas present like a fat-bike, I could ride the arroyos around here.
John V said…
I'm near Phoenix and a guy here had to take his dog to the vet last week after it was bitten by a rattler. It cost him $2,400 to save the dog. So the rattlers can be out even this time of year. We were on a hike last week and all the lizards were out in the warm sun. Where there are lizards, there can be snakes.
That's not good. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't worry about rattlers when the temperatures are below 70 F.
Boonster, I saw a rattler in Utah when it was about 50 degrees in the day and getting down in the 30s at night - in late October and at about 6,000 feet. Heard a second one but didn't see it.
Ed said…
You are always pushing the envelope kaBLOOnie. Rattlesnakes most active temperature range is 70-90 is only when it gets down around 60 that they become sluggish and start to den up. Spotted Dog's sighting had to have been one tough snake laying out in the sun.
sooperedd said…
Everything you need to know about those cliffs can be learned from Wile E. Coyote.
I am afraid my dog is going to run out past the edge of the cliff like Wile E. Coyote used to do, stop in mid-air, look down, and...
I too think that Spotted Dog's example was unusual. The 80s is the range I usually see rattlers, although I have only been rattled at twice in all these years of opportunities.
Jackpineseed said…
Good year to get a fatty,competition is up,prices are down. Love the grip those big tires give me when I'm playing around on some gnarly terrain. I even added a 29x3(plus) wheelset and front suspension to my Mukluk's standard 26x4 wheels and rigid fork. Swap them out for versatility.

As always, thanks for your blog. You've given me some good ideas over the years of following.

Jackpineseed,I didn't know that you could pop in a 29 wheel to a fatty's front, but that was a clever way to do it: buy a less expensive fatty with no suspension, and add a front fork.
Jackpineseed, also: I was lusting and coveting on some 650 and 29 PLUS bike yesterday, up in St. George. Too new, too expensive. Maybe they will come down in a couple years. But I want to have only one bike in my vehicle, and I think that a 650 or 29 PLUS is the right way to go.

If I got a Fatty, I would probably end up with two bikes.
Jackpineseed said…
Yea,I ride the 29+ wheels 90% of the time,save the fats for extreme conditions. Here ya on the lusting,Salsa Pony Rustler for me. Definitely too new,too expensive. But been struggling lately with finding the balance between living now and not running out of money later.The 'March of Time' is relentless and I've been feeling time's toll.

Don't know what I'm going to do about another bike yet. But I do know I'm going to be out west, biking and camping in 2016. Can I give you a shout,maybe catch a ride together?
Jackpineseed, sure, it would be pleasure. Just use my email in the upper right corner of the blog screen.