Skip to main content

Uses for a Cold Day in a Yuma Igloo

Was it a waste of time to read some of the non-famous-novels of Tolstoy and a biography of Gandhi, "Gandhi Before India." by Ramachandra Guha? Today most people see the "prophet" Tolstoy as a prudish, anti-sex crusader and a romanticizer of Russian peasants. Gandhi was obsessed with diet and holiness even back in his student days in London.

Perhaps, instead, I should read about their actions and ideas that make them remembered as great men, rather than as oddballs and cranks. But maybe it is not that simple. Recall that Isaac Newton wrote more theology than mathematical physics. Was he not earnest in both endeavours? How could the same mind and personality be brilliant in one field and a forgettable crank in the other?

Perhaps we fail to read between the lines in their crank endeavors. More imagination might be needed to spot the great man in the fields where they did not shine.

At any rate I usually mock asceticism until it gets cold. Then I start acting like a holy monk. Yes, this is certainly inconsistent, but is also earnest. I have yet to use any supplemental heat this winter. Last night the inside of my trailer fell into the upper thirties (F). I was ready for it after retrieving my heaviest sleeping bag from the van.

I become furious at any weakness about the cold. It is best to get out of bed when it is still dark. Ahh, how nice it is to turn on the stove and heat up the water for coffee. Then a warm breakfast. When the sun finally pops over the local mountains, and pushes through the only window on that side of my trailer. It makes a square foot of bright rectangle appear on the opposite wall.

I am pleased with this photograph, but not because it is "beautiful," but rather, because it might be a non-verbal path to ideas. I hope it causes the viewer to start building a little essay in his mind.

The condensation on the metal screws is due to them connecting to the steel rafters of the wall and the exterior aluminum skin on my converted cargo trailer. 

Since I had to get hands-on involved with my window, it is a pleasant memory and an experience to me, not just a mass-produced good from a factory. I had to buy the right one and hope that it fit between the wall rafters. And where should I put it? Finally it came down to 'now or never', as I got out the drill and saber saw. My palms did sweat a bit, but it turned out easier than I thought. 

I did some reading on building igloos. They poke holes every so often for ventilation. During the polar winter/night, they sometimes put a window (about half the size of mine) in the direction that points to the brightest (and sunless) spot in the sky. Where that would be, I wonder? Three-dimensional, celestial maps are hard to imagine without a globe, a flashlight, and a dark room. 

Every "unit" of dreadfulness or discomfort suffered at night or in the morning darkness is paid back in double portions of pleasure and satisfaction, soon after sunrise. An hour after sunrise the warm sunny rectangle moves to the spot on the bed where my dog snoozes after her morning frolic in the desert. 

There is something about just having one window that focuses the imagination, which then intensifies my appreciation. It is almost a religious reverence: the rectangular spot is like the light pouring through the stained glass windows at the front of the church, and suffusing the altar with benevolence and hope. 

And yet there are comfort-worshiping, bourgeois sybarites in RVing that praise many windows and large windows in an RV. What soul-less philistines they are! (We needn't mention the cult-brand of RV.)

In the future I will see my little white cargo trailer with its lone window as an igloo all alone in the Canadian arctic, suffocating under 24 hours of darkness, but with a chink in its wall, focused on the brightest cluster of bulbs in the Milky Way.

Comments

Teri said…
I live simply, but your way is too spartan for me. I have a small electric heater that I use in my RV (I had the propane furnace removed). And, I like to sit and look out the windows in the early mornings and at dusk or on days that it is not pleasant being outside.
Jim and Gayle said…
Mr. kB we have an Iron Maiden in your size on its way. Sleep tight.
Anonymous said…
You forgot to take advantage by turning off the fridge and leaving its door open, to get everything inside extra chilled at no energy cost!
I will have to do a little homework on the Iron Maiden. But as long as it allows a monk to practice "mortification of the flesh", I am interested.
Would you still say "spartan" if you had a dog that wanted to romp in the cold? (Stay tuned for Part II.)

An electric heater!? That would require me to become part of the Matrix.
That's a thought.

I used to put water jugs out a night, let them freeze, and put them in the frig during the day.
edlfrey said…
There are people off grid in Terlingua, TX that do that also. Or, put the refrigerator outside during the winter and open the door at night as Ted was suggesting.

"It is best to get out of bed when it is still dark." That is exactly what Patches claims and she is frisky on these cold mornings. Then she is equally pleased to hog the area right in front of the Wave heater when we get back from the cold walk.
Chris said…
I was expecting comments on your hair shirt and self-flagellation techniques. Catalytic heaters will keep you off the matrix.
Ed, I could easily move the frig outside since it is a 12 volt DC frig, powered with a plug. It's not that heavy.

Chris, I have a Mr. Heater Big Buddy in the trailer, but it is still a virgin.
Unknown said…
I enjoy receiving your posts so thanks for your efforts. I'd love to see a post further expanding on your new accommodations, layout, storage, desired improvements, etc. It would be be an act of kindness for us equipment nerds.
Thanks Rod, but I'm sure you are aware of the excellent blogs out there on the "how to" of RVing. This is not one of those blogs.

I can't resist saying, in passing, that the "how to" of RVing is over-rated. It really isn't rocket science. It is a good idea to get the (so called) practical stuff behind you and move on to the "spiritual" level. (grin)
Unknown said…
Thanks Boonie, I quite understand that there are zillions of blogs and videos available. I only made my request because you have an unusually critical and practical analytical mind, so I was imagining a useful incremental morsel of design insight. Good travels.
Joy said…
A supervisor back in the day once tried to fire me for having "a brilliant critical mind, but..." I think she meant 'analytical mind', but who knows? - English was not her first language. Fortunately, smarter minds prevailed, but that experience first led me to thinking about a life free of that kind of nonsense.

My husband and I follow the lessons taught us by our parents, when resources were scarce and gained only by very hard work. Heat the house with wood fires, since wood is free, and use the money saved for trips and books and celebrations. Bank the coal furnace well at night, pile the beds with home-made quilts, and use the money saved to take the family on a summer vacation. "Less is more" isn't Spartan or ascetic, it's just common sense (which admittedly has never been all that common, at least in my lifetime.) All any of us really need is one window.
Joy, we need you to convert Teri to "The Way". (grin)

But I agree that minimalism is misunderstood when the focus is on self-punitive asceticism. It really is just an exercise in redistributing resources towards the things that really count. Hence, we get more out of life, not less.
Chris said…
Rod, if you go back to kB's 2014 late April/early May blogposts, you will find photos and minimal discussion of his minimalist converted cargo trailer.