Skip to main content

An After-Ride "Drug" Trip?

(Yuma.) It is never hard to think of something that I feel like writing about, but there are topics that seem "inappropriate," if you can stomach the word. For instance, is it right and proper to write about how the world looks after a bicycle ride, or is that like somebody writing after getting drunk?

It is odd how little I have learned about exercise physiology and psychology. Despite hundreds of experiences of feeling calm euphoria after a ride, I have never seriously studied endorphines, dopamines, and receptors in the brain. Was I afraid that it would turn out to be mere pop science?

But there I was again, finishing another fast 50 mile ride with 70 year olds, when I rounded the last corner before getting home, and saw a Red Flyer wagon at the end of a driveway. It was decorated in bright colors and was laden with Girl Scout cookies. I was hungry, so I did a quick loop-around to the wagon, operated by a Little Darlin' and supervised by an attractive mother. The Little Darlin' (age 5 or 6) gave me the standard sales pitch. It was pretty long -- long enough that it was all she could do to memorize it. After she said something about military discounts, I asked her about discounts for bicycle club members. I was surprised that she said yes, but don't worry, I didn't hold her to it.

One box would have been enough, but the Little Darlin' shook me down for a couple boxes. How do you say 'no' to such a creature? Ahh well, she might as well learn who rules the world, and Why.

On one level, there is nothing special about this experience at this time of year. Little shakedown artists are loose all over the country. It surprises me that they don't need an expensive license from a newly-created federal regulatory agency. 

What made it special was how it pierced me, and it really shouldn't have. I was aware of it at the time, and felt awed by the effect she had. Let's give the little girl her fair share of credit, but the "mood preparation" from aerobic exercise clinched it.

So that's where I sit: wondering whether subjective experiences like this are worth writing about. Obviously I finally decided that anything this fine, is worth it.

This example might be useful to people who are in the mood to stop thinking of aerobic exercise as a dreary grind that you do only because it is 'good for you.'  It would be useful to them to understand how calm euphoria from aerobic exercise intensifies the enjoyment of so many things, sleep, music, water, food, or just about anything!

Comments

jevowell said…
Since you've indulged yourself with sugary, overpriced Girl Scout cookies, maybe you can splurge a little more after your next bike ride and get Coffee Girl some healthy, minty fresh Greenies!
But I bought the "Thin mint" cookies. Cacao and mint. Two vegetables. So it is health food.
Ed said…
Two vegetables and don't forget the less calories because they are 'Thin'.

When I was riding with old geezers across the country I was a young-un in my mid-40s. I always said that the only reason they were so damn fast was because they were all on drugs - blood pressure, cholesterol, enlarged prostate, etc. I agree with you that aerobic exercise is a great "mood enhancer', I don't remember ever have two happier summers.
John V said…
It's the loss of calcium in the bones. It makes those guys lighter and more aerodynamic.
Thanks for the back up, Ed. Maybe we could be a good team of bicycle-evangelists.

As for age and cycling, oldsters do need to be more careful. There bones don't heal as quickly.