It's so tiring to keep up with all the amazing developments in the Middle East. I need to come up for air and find something light.
This winter I am putting the cold dry air to good use by walking to downtown more than in the past. It takes about 40 minutes, the back way, which is mostly dirt single-track. How nice it is to have a trail in town. Walking in town, away from traffic, is more interesting than an artificial hike in a boring forest.
First we hung out at the coffee shop, where Coffee Girl (my kelpie dog) charmed the socks off 90% of the customers. (And I tend to think there is something wrong with the remaining 10%.) Then we headed over to the food co-op (blush) where I bought all of one thing. Today I decided to wait, since there were a dozen kids' bicycles outside; they were all inside, stocking up on something.
They all came out at once. Immediately a half dozen girls, 8-10 years old, were cooing and giggling and fawning over Coffee Girl, and oh (!) how she gloried in all that attention. Every part of her body, from wet nose to wagging tail, quivered with happiness. It's probably uninteresting to read someone talk about their dog. We all know how boring it is to hear people brag about their kids, or to have granny at an RV park describe how cute this or that trivial thing was when her grandchild did it.
Still, for cynical old bachelor curmudgeons it's rare to have a delightful experience with children. (Think W.C. Fields.) I felt a spasm of joy during all this. If that isn't worth writing about, well, what is?
Above: reader bp's new dog, Copper (?). His eyes are a lot like my Coffee Girl's eyes, shown below.