Skip to main content

Putting Yourself into Some Explorers' Shoes

I was looking to cut my drive in half today.  So I found a shaded side road, and was careful not to pull the trailer further into this unknown road, since I wasn't certain about turning around.

Surprisingly a sign said this was the official Lewis and Clark Trail.  My maps didn't even say that there was one.  Nearby, a nice (walkable) bridge crossed a tributary stream.  And there was another official sign.

In grade school, everybody heard about the Lewis and Clark Voyage of Discovery.  I don't remember it seeming very interesting.  But it should have been.  Think how little support and infrastructure they had to lean on!  It isn't surprising that a school kid couldn't put himself in Lewis and Clark's shoes.

Along the dirt road, there was a cluster of gigantic trees, over 2 feet in diameter, with remarkable bark.  These were the best trees of the summer, for me.


 How old is a tree of this diameter?  Was it alive 220 years ago, in Lewis and Clark's time?

Walking along the road, I got a peek-a-boo glimpse of some brightness coming from close to the tributary stream.  The surrounding forest was dark and dense.  In fact it took a couple passes by this spot before I realized it was a campsite, for tenters or trekkers.  

The perfect campsite, in the very center.  No wonder I almost missed it.

 Looking into this more closely I saw how perfect this campsite was, so hidden, cool, shaded, and with water nearby!  Never fond of tent camping, I had never appreciated this type of campsite before, perhaps because I was unwilling to put myself in others' shoes.  You could say the same thing about most outdoors sports, other than my own.  It is possible this is a general syndrome.

Comments