Skip to main content

Something Actually Improved With an "Upgrade"

Last post I was wondering how I could be a contented Kindle-for-PC user on my Windows 7 laptop for years and years; then I foolishly "upgraded" to Windows 10, only to find that the Kindle-for-PC program does not work reliably.

But I am not surprised. Think how many years we have been bothered by "updates" and "upgrades."  Then we find that little if anything has actually gotten better. It's as if updates and upgrades are nothing but a phony "Full Employment Act" passed by Congress to guarantee jobs for software geeks.

And yet, there are exceptions. It took me a month to learn that Android 9 offers an amazing improvement over Android 7: Android 9 allows you format the micro-SD chip as simulated "on board" (internal) memory, so you needn't run out of memory ever again, on your phone. 

From registrationgateway.com
What an improvement this is! And why didn't I learn this from the tech reviews by vaunted experts?

On Android 7, I was always going to Settings/"Storage" to move apps from internal memory to the optional micro-SD chip. Most of the Google apps and many of the big apps would not allow for this option. So I was always running out of memory.

When apps did their "update" nuisances, I would have to go back through the list of apps to move them back onto the micro-SD chip.

And now, on Android 9, the problem has completely gone away. I have never seen an "upgrade" do anything real for me, before! Micro-SD chips of gigantic size can be purchased at the drug store or Walmart -- if not the Dollar Store.

But how does this help the Google business model? They have a vested interest in limiting the internal memory of any device in their ecosystem, to sucker you into cloud storage. You won't be able to pull socks or underwear out of the drawer, without Google making an advertising buck off of it. 

Comments