Skip to main content

A Decorated Grave in the Forest

So close to Memorial Day, it was strange to stumble onto a well-marked grave for a dog, in the forest. It had a large blue Christian cross with some nice words about the dog, "Jack". A plastic doggie water bowl was in front of the cross. Did the owners come out every year and replace the bowl, or symbolically pour water in the bowl? I found myself quite affected by this, especially considering how difficult it is to dig a grave a couple feet deep in rock.

I know one man who would not have been impressed: the fellow who camped nearby last winter. He once told me, with some disgust in his voice, "You treat her like a person!", referring to my dog of course. (In fairness, I try to repress baby talk and other behavior that is obnoxious to other people.) 
Treat her like a human, do I? This was the groomer's idea. She got her summer clip today and loves it.
That's one of those phrases you hear every now and then. There are several others.
  • Dogs offer unconditional love.
  • Dogs are loyal.
  • I like dogs better than people.
All of these phrases seem to miss the mark. I have only had two dogs, but neither one was the least bit loyal. Whatever human walked up to them was their new best friend.

Unconditional love? A dog would only put up with so much abuse from a human. Dogs also show noticeable preferences for some people over others. If there were no conditions, how could there be preferences?

Nor will I confess to liking dogs better than people. I will admit to preferring the behavior of the average dog to that of the average person. Dogs are friendlier and more enthusiastic than the average person. Why should that be so?

And then there is the cuteness factor. Adult dogs, let alone puppies, seem much cuter than little humans. How does evolution explain that?

Why is the behavior of the average dog so preferable to the average human? My best guess is that humans have more powerful imaginations than dogs, and yet our imaginations are so undisciplined that we would almost be better without any imagination.

I don't want to try to answer these questions. It would take too much mental effort, and I'm getting ready to lie down for a siesta, after a morning mountain bike ride with my dog. Now it is a warm summer mid-day. It would be so nice to feel a touch of breeze and get another drink of water. "Jack" would have understood. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
As a an owner of 2 dogs, I say this was a spot on message!

Chris
Bob said…
Never had a dog talk behind my back. And I'd be lost without my dog ... Dog Bless!
TomInBellaVista said…
I would kidnap my neighbor's Corgy, except when not fantasizing I know she is in much better hands next door. I get the privilege of admiring this intelligent and highly trained dog with none of the obligations of ownership, and there's the rub for me. My father, a depression era guy who lived through some of the hardest times considered the idea of a pet to be sheer nonsense. If my dogs couldn't hunt they disappeared rather quickly. This training has left me with an attitude toward dogs that runs contrary to what is socially acceptable to day. I shake my head at friends who spent $8K for spinal surgery for their aging Dachshund, and a landscaper who drives a rusted out old pickup who spent $5K repairng his beloved pet's leg.

So this dog lover loves all his neighbor's pets, but will never own one. I just can't see paying inflated vet bills, when I can visualize my Dad saying, "Son, it's just an animal."
I too think it is ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars on pet problems. But that is not a requirement of owning a dog. You can have it euthanized.
Anonymous said…
I am going through such a dilemma now as 2 separate cancerous tumors have been discovered in our 9.5 yr old goldendoodle. For ~$8,000, they can be removed and perhaps, if he survived the surgery, he could live another 2-4 yrs. Since the tumors have not metastasized, he could perhaps live 2-4 yrs without surgery - or not. It’s a crap shoot.

Chris
Vanholio! said…
I'll take dogs over people any time. To me, humans are just another critter, and a nastier one at that. And quite frankly, my loyalties aren't by species but by who I consider "family." Don't need to be Homo sapiens to be in my family, and many Homo sapiens are "other."
I like how you said that: many homo sapiens are "other."
Sorry to hear that, Chris. Glad I'm not making your decision.
Anonymous said…
Thanks. After a long discussion with the vet, we will wait 3 months and check the tumors to determine if they've grown - or not. In this case, time will tell.

Chris