Skip to main content

Taking Sensual Pleasures to a Higher Level

The other day, I sat out on the porch of the "Chatterbox" cafe. It was noon on an unseasonably warm day. Already I felt a mild dread about warm weather returning, and on top of that, I was drinking hot coffee.  But the porch was shaded. The gentle breeze felt so cool and reassuring.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that I would pop my insulated bib overalls on and lie out on the 'patio' (ramp) of my cargo trailer, with it facing the still-valid Arizona sun. Then, I was asking relief from the wintry air. 

These two experiences were as pleasant as they could be. They were mirror images of each other. Today's pleasure was even more piquant because of the contrast with the oh-so-recent mirror image.

But the pleasure didn't stop there. Recently I posted about the visual metaphor from "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," with the ugly Creature swimming upside down while stalking the beautiful girl swimming on top of the water, with the sunlight rippling the surface. [*] (The camera was underneath the water, looking upwards.)

With this visual image in mind, the experience was transported to a higher level -- from the purely sensual to the aesthetic realm. This made a noticeable difference. I'm glad that I've finally come to appreciate, and actively shop for, visual metaphors from the movies. It is possible to find examples from the world of cartoons or even sculpture.

What a shame that visual metaphors are so hard to find in the world of (still) photography! It may be possible that many photographers don't even know that they are supposed to aspire to visual representations of ideas or fundamental components of the human condition. 
________________________________

[*] As usual, lots of good movie trivia is available at imdb.com

Comments

Wayne Wirs said…
Some (most) "photographers" document. But some photographers are artists---there's usually much more than just a pretty picture being revealed. My mentor was Harry Callahan. Every photo of his implied a deeper story. You're just following the wrong "photographers."
Indeed, there must be idea-oriented photographers out there that I need to discover. But how do I do it? I cannot drag along heavy coffee-table books with me. Nor do I want to spend hundreds of dollars at it.
Wayne Wirs said…
A couple of suggestions. Use the "Images" link under Google's search results, say "World's greatest photographers". Then click and explore the work of the artists whose images you like.

Instagram has some surprisingly good photographers, try Alison Turner https://www.instagram.com/alisontravels/ (vandweller, dog lover). Also use Instagram's search feature to find images you like which will link you to the photographer… ie: "GhostTowns" https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ghosttowns/ .