Skip to main content

Conversations with Strangers in Coffee Shops?

I stand before you today to announce a great and newly discovered truth: that it is possible to have an interesting and useful conversation in a coffee shop. With a stranger. Do you think I am exaggerating? Consider just one feature of this conversation: it was 10 or 15 minutes before he fell back on the old 'Soooo, whar ya frum?' If you wanted to be scientific about it, you could easily correlate how late that question arrives with the interesting-ness of the person. I am used to it being the second thing out of their mouths, and I have been known to literally groan out-loud when it happens.

But maybe you are going to tell me that this kind of thing happens to you all the time, and the fact that it has never happened to me is my own fault. Indeed, it is easy to misjudge people. Perhaps I don't ask people who look sufficiently available, are the right age, or are displaying the right body language. Perhaps they take one look at me and say, "How could such an over-opinionated know-it-all who can't keep his trap shut have such a nice dog?"

But there is another explanation: the art of conversation is no longer valued much in our society. Nor do we agree on formal rules that make conversation easier. The notion of "good breeding" or "gentlemanly" behavior has disappeared. Nor does the average blockhead know about much, or care about much, other than their job, television shows, celebrity gossip, daily chores and drudgery, Facebook trivia, etc.

This fellow was so facile. He quickly divined our common denominator: that we both drive old Ford Econoline vans. After I boasted that mine would soon hit 250,000 miles, he mentioned that his had 480,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. We then went on to methods of extending the life of a vehicle, the characteristics of a good mechanic, and his plans for converting his van for extended stays in the Arizona desert in winter.

But it wasn't in the list of topics that the magic lay. It was something more ineffable, at least at first. I think it was the back-and-forth between concrete (and well selected) details and generalities. We leaned one direction or the other at any given time, but then we flipped in the opposite direction. Perhaps this is almost a definition of intellectually healthy thinking.

Somebody who is addicted to easy theories might wait for two honest data points, draw a straight line between them, and then induce a universal law. I see no reason to be so cautious. After all I might not live to my next interesting conversation with a stranger.

So then, here is my grand and mighty conclusion based on one data point: he was an artist. Perhaps they get in the habit of dancing between concrete illustrations and general ideas, and then carry that habit into other parts of their lives.

Comments

John V said…
Interesting conclusion. We always meet people at coffee shops and end up making good connections and learning a lot. The funny thing is, none of them have ever been an artist. Offhand I can say there have been farmers, mechanics, geologists, engineers, forest dervice, law enforcement, railroad, commercial fisherman, longshoremen. foresters, small business owners, chefs. and on and on. Not a single artist. We've even enjoyed some time with local politicians. I never thought about it before your post, but no artists. We've only met them in "art" settings, not coffee shops or other public gathering spots (in our case that means brewpubs). So keep on trying. I'm sure you'll have another fun conversation with a stranger before you die!
John V said…
Come to ID and we'll introduce you to a few. Then we'll tell you stories around the fire about the others. :-)
Seriously maybe I should follow you into a coffee shop and take lessons.

I might undermine my own cause by groaning out loud after the second sentence out of their mouth.
Anonymous said…
It could be worse. I recall when we moved to rural Minnesota back in the 70s that the first words out of anyone's mouth were usually, "What church do you go to?"

Chris
Alan Oak said…
"Men frequently say to me, 'I should think you would feel lonesome down there, and want to be nearer to folks, rainy and snowy days and nights especially.' I am tempted to reply to such, — This whole earth which we inhabit is but a point in space. How far apart, think you, dwell the two most distant inhabitants of yonder star, the breadth of whose disk cannot be appreciated by our instruments? Why should I feel lonely? is not our planet in the Milky Way? This which you put seems to me not to be the most important question. What sort of space is that which separates a man from his fellows and makes him solitary? I have found that no exertion of legs can bring two minds much nearer to one another." Henry David Thoreau, Walden
That's not worse. At least it opens up a possible discussion on theology, which is a lot less banal than where I'm from, what I did, how many kids, am I married, etc.
I like the last part of that quote.
sooperedd said…
I equally dislike " What do you do "? I usually answer " As little as possible " or fabricate a story that I'm an ex-con out on parole for robbing banks or something like that. Maybe I miss out on meeting some truly interesting people, but small talk=boring ; most people talk but don't say much. I could compare it to why I like riding my mountain bike alone; most people can't keep up.
My goodness, Sooper Edd, I would be scolded for being a curmudgeon if I left a comment like that. (grin)
Anonymous said…
Perhaps, but those who would ask were more interested in conversion than conversation.

Chris