Skip to main content

Boondocking with Big Butts

People, who have RVed only half as long as I have, can easily be more experienced about rigs in general, since some people change rigs every couple years instead of holding them forever like me. It would be kind of fun to experience different rigs, and measure up their pro-s and con-s. But unless a person is an awfully good trader, it seems as though you would be eaten alive by the chain of ancillary expenses that ensues every time you change a rig.

Perhaps I am thinking about that more than usual because of the squatters' camp that has gotten established in my neighborhood. Three Lazy Daze Class C's are detracting from the view from my prestigious view-property, further up the hill. At the very least they could have parked with uniform spacing, parallel or perpendicular to the paved highway. Just think what they are doing to my property values!




But let's not be small about such things. I welcomed these campers to my BLM estate, but they can't even make it over a small dip that is halfway here.

Is it really true that class A motorhomes have trouble going over convex humps because they might hit the ground in the center of the rig? That is, they "high center" because of their long-wheelbases and mild rear overhangs. And is it also true that Class C motorhomes crunch at the rear when going through concave dips because of their rear overhangs?

I don't have a constructive suggestion for the Class A's, but some equipment in the neighborhood flagstone quarry has given me an idea for improving Class C's. Just back 'em up...




...carefully of course...and we'll lop it off in, say, 4 foot increments until you can finally camp with the serious campers.




Comments

Anonymous said…
From the title I expected mention of the other RV consideration: interior size and floor plan considerations (limitations) for those of magnificent girth. Such need a large RV with slides to enable passing each other on the way back and forth along the length of their mobile mansion. And forget about hoisting up into a cabover bunk!

But I should have known, sensitive gentleman that you are, that you wouldn't go there. ;)
Sensitivity and Political Correctness is Job #1 on this blog.
Jim and Gayle said…
Have you considered that we are camped as close to you as we want to be;-)
John V said…
That;s OK, it will probably get too cold for them or they'll desperately need to plug in again, so they'll soon leave for a civilized campground and you'll have yor view back!
Now, now, you don't really mean that!
Actually all three of these Lazy Daze are pretty tough campers when they want to be. I did roll my eyes at them jockeying the rigs around for a "view" out their favorite window.
Allison said…
And the Brobdingnagians are really and truly enjoying the space heater.
My post wasn't a sermon against bigness per se, but only against Big Butts (Rear Overhang, grin)

There is no perfect solution to heating rigs when boondocking. The best I have come up with is dressing warm, going for short walks with the dog, doing pushups on the floor, and drinking lots of hot tea of some kind.