Skip to main content

Barbarism at Starbucks, part I

Perhaps the reader is relieved that there aren't Google ads in this blog. Actually, as a reader, I really don't mind stationary ads in parallel with the reading material. But product-placement ads infuriate me. So this blog doesn't offer those, either. Perhaps the reader thought that this was too good to be true.

Well, it was. Today marks the beginning of a new policy on this blog. Not ads. But there will be homework assigned. Mandatory reading. I expect to double my hit-count because of this new policy. The only thing still to be decided is how to quiz the readers at the end of the post so I can see if they've been cheating.

Very well then, today's assignment is a short essay by Jonathan Swift on conversation.

Comments

edlfrey said…
I'm going to venture a guess based up on the title of this post and the reading assignment. Barbarism at Starbucks, part II is going to be a discussion of a conversation that took place at Starbucks. Said conversation most probably included every error pointed out by Jonathan Swift.

Bring on Part II and the quiz, I'm ready! It will be open book, by necessity, and I have my FireFox Find function at the ready.
Times hath changed; Conversation is a lost art…especially amongst we the oafish common folk.
Have a Merry Christmas in Yuma Boonie and Coffee Girl.
Box Canyon Mark and Bobbie
Thanks Mark. I didn't see what the ORGEE acronym stood for. Now that I found it on your blog... pretty good!
Unknown said…
Hm. No product placement, so this post's title must refer to an instance of brutality that occurred at the residence of the Pequod's chief mate. In which case, you're missing an apostrophe.
Moby Dick wasn't today's assigned reading. You are trying to get ahead of the class by cheating. I'm afraid I'll have to add negative 5 points to your record.
edlfrey said…
Good on ya Boonie! Those apple polishing smart kids are always trying to make the rest of us look bad.
Maybe you could assign him extra homework. Perhaps an essay explaining what he said in everyday language that we sitting in the back of the room can understand.

A very good example of a conversation that fractured into couples as you explained in Part II.
Actually now that you mention it, it would be better if commenters talked to each other rather than just have a cupply-dupply "pas de deaux" with the blogger.