Skip to main content

Survey Markers of the Seasons

Expect to see some visually unspectacular photographs the next few days. I'm back at a seasonal haunt, dispersed camping in the Green Valley, AZ area. There are several landmarks around here, such as Elephant Head...


...that I look forward to seeing. They are certainly helpful for navigational purposes. But they are better yet as fiducial points of time. There is always some cognitive dissonance in making this switch from space to time.

Tomorrow morning, 'time' will get turned back into 'space.'





It's really nice coming back to some of the same places at the same time of year. These landmarks become old friends who are eager to greet you.

For the first time in a long time I actually wish one of my gadgets would wear out prematurely, so I can replace it with a new one. This place would be a good fit with the sweep panorama cameras made by Sony. On the ride today, Coffee Girl and I revisited a potential campsite alongside a large arroyo, washing down from the Santa Rita Mountains. It would have made a grand 180 degree sweep. The aspect ratio of the photograph could have been at least 10 to 1. I really want one of them suckers!

 

What a shame there aren't gravel lots for rent here, as there are in Yuma. I'd like to spend the month of March bicycling here. They've done an excellent job with bike/golf cart lanes. And there are so many bicyclists on the road here!

Comments