Skip to main content

Nearing the Top


Most hikers are probably fond of that moment in a hike when you're starting to wonder if you're ever going to get to the top. But of course the experience would be boring without the voluntary suffering of it all. Then you see some blue sky peaking through, so you must be getting ready to crest. Recently Coffee Girl and I finally made it over the top of Book Cliffs, which my little poodle valiantly surmounted four years ago. I can't be sure that he used this trail, but it's the only one. It was 1600 feet of altitude gain.

It's counter-intuitive how the high-altitude side of a cliff ramps up the edge, and then falls precipitously. The Mogollon Rim (in Arizona) does this as well. The top of Book Cliffs was fun to explore; it was crossed by more ravines than I thought; it wasn't just a flat mesa-top.

Comments

Ted said…
Sounds like a nice hike, Boonie. I'll have to give it a try if I'm ever out that way.
Anonymous said…
Have you ever noticed that when you meet hikers returning from the summit, they always lie and say something like, "you're almost there!"

bethers
Ted, glad you are posting again on your blog.

bethers, I think I've been guilty of making that statement a couple times, myself!