Skip to main content

Progress in Politics

The Iraq War started with a lie about weapons of mass destruction. At the time it seemed hard to believe that the Bush administration would lie about something that they would so easily get caught at, so I tended to believe them while suspecting that they were exaggerating.

That is where I was a naif and the neocons were brilliant. WMDs were revealed as a lie gradually. At no time was the lie Breaking News; thus it wasn't news at all, and there were no consequences for the liars.

In contrast, the Obama administration is not providing false evidence of a genocide in Libya; it provided no evidence at all. The only thing it provided was a "what if", that is, Fear.

And thus we have come to see the Change we can Believe in: starting wars on the basis of no evidence at all, rather than false evidence.

Comments

Desert Scruff said…
Boonie, regarding the Bush administration lying about WMD in Iraq, you say, "...and there were no consequences for the liars."

What about Scooter Libby?
John, I forgot about Libby revealing Plame's CIA identity.

But convicting him didn't undo the Iraq War. I would like to have seen America become outraged about being lied into that war, followed by withdrawal and then some impeachments, starting at the White House.
Anonymous said…
Scooter never saw the inside of a jail cell and while I don't know what he is up to today, I imagine he isn't suffering very much. As I recall there was a fundraising effort to cover his legal costs.

Compare that to the treatment of Bradley Manning, the guy who may have been the wikileaker who brought us the embarassing diplomatic communications. He's being held in conditions tatamount to torture, charged, but no speedy trial.

No Bushie paid a price for what was done during those awful 8 years.

Tom in Orlando

typed on my Son's laptop... after 47 minutes booting up and sorting out updates. If only I'd brought my MacBookPro