Skip to main content

Visualizing a Book Correctly

It is a great project for a camper to wean themselves from an internet addiction. It is so strange the way you miss it most for the first day or two. When you finally debauch yourself by backsliding into Sin, you expect some huge rush of pleasure. Surprisingly you end up curling your lip and saying, "They're still talking about the same old crap. Why am I wasting my time?"

Why indeed? The benefits of cutting the daily cord are huge for a camper. They can choose so many more locations. The feeling of (soft) adventure comes back.

But 'fleeing vice is the beginning of virtue,' as the old Roman writer/poet, Horace, said. A camper has a lot of time on their hands. If you remove the internet, you have to add something else. Like what?

Books, let's say. I've never really been a good reader. I'm not referring to speed and comprehension. There has always been a problem with my... attitude. Actually it may have been lethargic visualization.

Let's take a brief digression before getting back to this issue.  This summer I have done a great job staying cool at high altitude. Several times I have camped next to the GDMBR, the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. Once I was leaving camp and saw a tent and two bikes in a high pasture. I asked if they needed water. They didn't, but they invited me for tea. It was a father/daughter team from England. I accidentally bumped into them two more times on the GDMBR. We had a brief visit each time.

The daughter had a doughty attitude to her first bicycle tour: "We never look at the next section of the trail maps until we finish the current one!"

Why wouldn't that trick work with books? The sheer weight of the literary lumber is so off-putting. That is the psychological trick that the internet exploits: it screams, "Don't read that long-winded, mouldy ol' book. Read my headlines, my brief article, my sensational photos or video! The book and author are long dead, but my drivel happened 3.5 microseconds ago!" 

But why think about the book's 600 pages? Why not just think about the 10 page chapter? So thank you, Georgiana from England, for making me concentrate on this need.


Comments

Ed said…
To not look at the "sheer weight of the literary lumber", as you so poetically put it, is another advantage that the Kindle Paperwhite offers. It will tell you what your location in the book is, the total locations and the % of the book that you have read. But these numbers are not a daunting as seeing your bookmark sticking out of that stack of literary lumber (I must remember that phrase). The other think that it will tell you is how minutes of reading time remain (at your prior pace). I like that feature! I don't have to page forward looking for the end the chapter that I am reading.

By the way, I consider 600 pages as just getting into the story. HA
Good for Paperwhite!

By the way, does it show illustrations if the Kindle book contains illustrations? Some do.

When I download a Kindle book with illustrations onto my PC, Kindle-for-PC will show the illustration but it won't let me click on it and expand it. You should trying looking at a battle map from the Napoleonic Wars that is 2 inches by 2 inches.
Ed said…
Showing illustrations. I always download the Kindel version that claims to have illustrations and sometimes I see them and other times I think the original book may have had one but Gutenberg Project did not include it.

No you can not click on them and make them bigger but you could not click on the illustration in the book either. I have been very disappointed by the maps that are included in paper books.