Skip to main content

How Do You Find Eclectic Blogs?

Once again my internet browsing is wallowing in the gutter. Perhaps it would be better to say that I am bored to death. Blame laziness.

It seems like most blogs write about the same thing every day. Political blogs and travel blogs are the worst of the worst. Travel blogs could be replaced by a computer program. Indeed, maybe somebody should sell an "app" that automatically puts travel posts on "your" blog. How would anybody know? The result might be a blog with friends and followers in the thousands. 

Let's have some fun: what would today's blog title be if an app was writing it. "An Exclusive Paradise Adventure in the Grand Canyon, for Free, Topped Off with a Beautiful Sunset!" Nah, too long.

Perhaps we are so trained as mass consumers that our information-grazing habits imitate our consumption. Thus we fall into blogs that offer tired formulas and repetition.

My excuse for being so lazy is that one only has so much time, there are too many haystacks to look through, and blogs make it difficult to size them up quickly. Imagine you have just run into a new list of blogs and the title of the post is "Another Tuesday." How does that help you decide if it is even worth five more seconds of your time? Why is it so difficult for the blockhead (bloghead?) to choose a title that accurately and truthfully describes the theme of the post?

I prefer blogs that start off with first hand experiences that are odd, or at least non-routine, because these tend to raise interesting questions. Trying to answer the questions causes the blogger to graze in a wider pasture. The blogger might have to borrow an idea from here or there, and borrow an experience from one part of their life or from somebody else's book. 

If it didn't progress beyond the level of the concrete and immediate, it would probably degenerate into one of those dreadful "here's what I did today" blogs. At the other extreme, if the blog started with abstractions and platitudes it would freeze into dogma, bumper sticker slogans, or aphorisms meant for pretty calendars or Hallmark cards.

I guess the right word is "eclectic." But that word gets abused, so I'm not sure that doing a search with that term will do me any good. Dare I hope?

Until then, here are some words of wisdom from a successful, early "blogger", Michel de Montaigne. (Complete Essays):
...and no matter if he forget where he had his learning, provided he know how to apply it to his own use.
Bees cull their several sweets from this flower and that blossom, here and there where they find them, but themselves afterwards make the honey, which is all and purely their own, and no more thyme and marjoram: so the several fragments he borrows from others, he will transform and shuffle together to compile a work that shall be absolutely his own; that is to say, his judgment: his instruction, labour and study, tend to nothing else but to form that.
 That is my project: looking for blogs who know how to 'make the honey.'

Comments

Steve said…
You've made me go back and check the titles of my blog posts ... lol
Bob Giddings said…
What you are looking for are great characters, with wide-ranging interests. "So Far From Heaven" is one such. It's been going on since 2011, and I'd start there. Lately Old Jules got medical problems, and he's dropped off a bit.

http://sofarfromheaven.com/2011/06/

Not exactly a travel or RV blog, though he does both. Mostly he travels in his head. He's had an interesting life.
Jim and Gayle said…
For a change I will make a serious comment and so you know, I take no offense to this blog post and you shouldn't take any from this comment.

You complain about travel blogs and you do that a lot. I think its safe to say that anyone who has read your blog knows your position on that and repeating it over and over doesn't exactly make for stimulating or interesting reading.

For the life of me I can't understand why you continue to read them. It seems to fall into the same category as those folks who are offended by a book, movie or TV program. Clearly, I will never figure out why they don't simply avoid them. One can only assume that the enjoyment they get from complaining outweighs their dislike for that which they complain about.

Moreover, not everyone who reads a "travel blog" can be so neatly pigeonholed. Reasons vary and you appear not to be open to recognizing that.

Or maybe all your complaining is just for appearance sake to fit in with your persona?

Anyway, keep in mind that over the long term your own blog has its own repeating aspect as far as topics go. It would seem to be unavoidable.
Dave Davis said…
What does one write about in a blog? Most of the time it is just about daily adventures. I look everyday for something new. It is getting almost impossible. I've been fulltiming for almost 2 years. The travel blogs are for the most part boring. Every once in a while you run across someone who explained their day and painted such a picture in words it was a pleasure. What I do mostly is try and find the bloggers list of blogs they follow. Sometimes I get lucky.
Good tips. Exactly what I was looking for.
Now, now, I wasn't trying to pick on any individual. It is the general syndrome that is at issue here.
Jim and Gayle said…
OK, so now I understand. Travel blogs, hallmark cards photos is all tongue in cheek so we shouldn't assume you're serious and that you actually love that stuff. It has all become clear in the fullness of time as Montaigne said to Seneca just the other day.

By the way, to be clear it is Jim here. I wouldn't wan't Gayle to be blamed for my comments.
OK I know when I am being taken to the woodshed. I couldn't resist taking one more whack at one of my favorite piñatas.

But the theme of the post was constructive: I was looking for suggestions at finding blogs that interest me. I am a terrible searcher on the internet.

I wish that you would respond to the challenge that I stole from recent Mish Shedlock articles on "robotic journalists are coming": is there a market for an app that writes travel blogs, is it cheating, and why? If I was a software guy, I think I would write such an app. Imagine the advertisement for this app in Trailer Life or FMCA.
david, if you sometimes get lucky, you could teach me a thing or two. I usually look over at the blogroll in the right hand column and find a list of 256 me-too travel blogs: "Fred and Mildred's Mighty RV Adventure."
TomInBellaVista said…
Try this one... Your opposite in many ways.

http://acornabbey.com/blog/
Tom, welcome back. And thanks for the tip. The author of that blog is a good writer, and his blog has a lot of variety. He might be too PC for me, but maybe I can just skip those parts of the blog.
John V said…
Sorry KB, can't help you too much. we even get bored at our own blog, which is why we'll write about different topics just to try to keep ourselves interested. But you can't build a "brand identity" for your blog by writing on diverse topics. And if you have no brand identity, then you won't sell as much crap to generate revenue or get enough hits to satisfy your fragile ego (and sell advertising). We write a blog just to keep the number of "Hey, where are you guys these days?" emails from friends and relatives to a minimum. They know they can just check the blog and get in touch if we're nearby. You have some pretty good links on the right. Fred Reed's blog is one of the more interesting free blogs out there. Actually, the best blogs I read are either private, invite only or cost a little money to subscribe to.
edlfrey said…
You have inflicted a deep wound. In your blogroll I am described as Ed Frey (RV travel & politics), then you write this: " Political blogs and travel blogs are the worst of the worst."

How am I ever going to get Followers if you, as a FRIEND, treat me in such a shabby fashion?
Jim, I am never completely serious or completely facetious when on one of my rants.
Ed, Oh good grief. Haven't I always praised the juicy and well-chosen quotes you find to put on your blog. They are valuable. You are also getting stronger in your book reviews. (Of course I don't read fiction.)

I don't write about individuals. I write about categories. In fact if an individual is permitted as an exception to a general opinion, I have paid them a high compliment.

Don't you remember my post about the pit bull who welcomed himself into camp in Colorado, and how my first reaction was to grab a rock and bash his brains in. But then at the end of the weekend I had learned to love him, and hated taking him to the animal shelter?
Well gee you really aren't going to help, are you?

But you are right: treating writing like it is an extension of thinking and living will never make a blogger into a popular, bar-coded, brand name with broad appeal to the consuming masses. (But it worked for Montaigne.)

I was hoping for some sympathy from readers. It has been a frustrating experience to break out of the travel blogosphere, the ghetto of the internet, as a reader and a blogger. I wish people would see it as a positive thing to aspire to do so. Maybe they will be going through the same struggle as me, a couple years from now. You'd think they would at least be curious how one can crawl out of travel blog kindergarten.
edlfrey said…
Your long and heartfelt reply leads me to believe that you could not see my tongue placed firmly in my cheek.

Yes, you have paid me a high compliment!
Bob Giddings said…
Well, here's something completely different:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

Another original character, who finally turned the blog into a book, sold a pile of them, and has not been seen since. It was a damn good 4 years though. I suggest starting at the beginning of this one, too, although you can drop in anywhere and get a lot of what you came for.

You do have a demonstrated prediliction for snap judgments, and on a hair trigger at that. It would be a shame if you took one look at this, thought "cartoon", and passed it by. Allie rewards a bit of patience.

O, and this: http://up-ship.com/blog/

Nerd City. Obsession Central. His original scifi stories are not bad.