Skip to main content

Mentors, Proteges, and the Sociological Spreadsheet

Silver City, NM. During the Vietnam War protest era, the educational establishment sprouted new fads, including the one that the students should decide which subjects get studied and which don't. A relatively well-known educator countered at the time that if a teacher has spent decades of his adult life at his job and has learned nothing more than inexperienced children, then that teacher has wasted his life. I agree with that argument and think that it applies just as well to professional travelers and full-time RVers.

Ahh but there is a problem. None of us really likes to listen to free advice from anybody. The minute you start giving advice you are presuming a type of superiority over other people. This is the emotional appeal of nominating yourself as "world improver" and social reformer, a la Ralph Nader or Mayor Bloomberg.

Onto these two counter-currents we can add a third: as we age we might feel a concern for our "legacy." We are forced to acknowledge how puny our individuality is and how short life is. It is consoling to at least partially obviate that puniness by connecting to something larger and more permanent and -- dare I say it -- more noble.

Imagine that society is an Excel spreadsheet, with each person getting their own column. The columns stack up in parallel, to the right, as many as there are people. Now stick within one column, and go down the page. Each row (of that column) represents a different year, memorable experience, or stage of that person's life.

Row Q of Column A thinks it's a lot wiser than Row C of Column A, and isn't afraid to say so. But he'd better not spout off to Row Q of Column B.  That's easy to understand.  But what if Row Q of Column A started offering free advice to Row C of Column B? Would that "cell" of the spreadsheet also resent the advice?

The trouble about advice-giving and advice-taking between people is that we are always confusing comparing rows with comparing columns.
________________________________________

I want to restrict my spouting off to outdoor activities. One of the biggest missed opportunities for most RVers in the West is mountain biking. Many RVers have mountain bikes bungeed to the back of the rig, but they seldom ride them. Others have tried mountain biking, only to find it unpleasant, and then quickly give it up.

I'd like to suggest that mountain biking wasn't given a fair chance. Perhaps you rented one from a bicycle shop in a tourist area. The shop probably sold you a map or book, with a title like "Top Ten Mountain Bike Rides in the..." Then you went out and found the single-track trail too steep and rocky. The bicycle equipment itself didn't work quite right or fit right. You were always worried about falling. You ended up pushing the bike more than you wanted, and you kept banging your shin against the left pedal. Your conclusion was that mountain biking just wasn't for you.

Finally finding some lush grassland between Prescott and Jerome AZ

You had a typical dysfunctional introduction to the sport. You should:
  1. Avoid national parks and other tourist traps that have postcardish -- and therefore excessively vertical -- topographies. The trails there are better for hiking, and besides, they don't allow mountain biking (or anything else that's fun) in national parks. Instead, seek out flatter land a few miles away from the big peaks. Go for plateaus, mesas, grasslands, or ponderosa forests. Typically, there are happy hunting grounds at the border between BLM land and national forests. 
  2. Avoid certain geologies. Extremely sharp volcanic rocks are terrible, as is loose sandy locations such as the over-rated red sandstone of Utah. Similarly with decomposed granite. You want dirt trails. Look for grass! Limestone is a good layer to mountain bike on.
  3. De-emphasize single tracks, because they are usually too technical. Because they can't make money off of it, the industry under-emphasizes the zillions of miles of dirt/gravel roads in national forests and BLM lands. Cash in on them! You don't need to buy any of those silly "Top Ten This or That" books; just buy a Benchmark or DeLorme atlas for the state.
  4. Avoid mountain bike meccas such as Moab UT, Fruita CO, and Crested Butte CO. Develop more appreciation for Montrose, Gunnison, and Monte Vista CO, northern and western New Mexico, and the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. 
Perhaps I was wrong to go into explicit details. The points above are really just manifestations of the Metropolitan Bubble Syndrome and the RV Vacation Syndrome. But those are standard stump speeches that I wanted to spare the reader.

High pastures at 9000 feet -- still actually used for something! -- near Springerville AZ.

__________________________________________

Let us wash our hands of these details and back off to the big picture. Mountain biking in the West is not just a sport, with its puny little pro-s and con-s. It hearkens back to a glorious Past, back to the horse culture of the Plains and the mountainous West. Hiking can't do that. Only mountain biking can. 

The West is no longer very Western. The whole economy is based on health care and retirement housing for wealthy city-slickers who will pay any amount of money for a spectacular view. There is a smallness to a culture that squanders its wealth sitting around in ridiculously large houses and sticking its chest out about how great the view is.

Rather than becoming doomed-and-gloomed by the travesty of the modern West, let's turn it to advantage by visualizing the mountain biker as a modern reincarnation of the horsemen and caballeros of a heroic Past. It's a consolation to a person getting older to renounce the obsession with their own Ego, and to blend their identity with something bigger. Think of the proud prance and arched neck of a beautiful Andalusian horse, as seen in movies [*]. An Idea can be immortal. 

Horses relaxing along the upper Rio Grande, near Creede CO.

[*] I believe it's on an Andalusian that The Bad makes his grand entry, in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, about three minutes into the movie.

Comments

Wayne (Wirs) said…
Regarding Advice: I think having a blog is an excellent way to share unsolicited advice---others can read it or not, who cares. In physical life though, I almost never talk about my area of expertise with the following exceptions:

1) Someone's read my blog and asks me about it.
2) A situation arises "in my area" and I offer an off-handed comment. Ie: When someone wants me to do something but there's a lot of resistance, I just say, "That's alright, I don't fight life."

I like that you offered mountain biking advice here (and I'd like to see more of it, maybe on bike selection). Probably wouldn't like it if you pushed it on me in "real" life unasked for. :)
XXXXX said…
It's a consolation to a person getting old to renounce the obsession with their own Ego, and to blend their identity with something bigger.

Yes, that is true. Perhaps all you say about mountain biking is true as well but I haven't the faintest attraction to it. I find myself much more attracted to the actual idea.....riding across the plains on a horse. I have done so and I can still recall the feeling.
The old west is gone. I too find myself searching out historical places and times for the sole purpose of simply standing on the same spot, knowing what happened there, and stopping to feel it all. I do that in many ways as there are countless opportunities really. The other day I noticed that the handle of my grandfather's sledge hammer has a crack in it. One of several personal/historical relics brought with me across country. I looked at the well worn piece, wondering for what specific purpose it was purchased, and how it was used over the years. It must be close to 100 years old. It doesn't take much.
Your statement above could certainly be considered spiritual but not in a religious sense. We do all hope that somehow our lives have some purpose, that our struggles have led to some gain, somewhere, that truly there is something bigger out there that will take the results of what we are and will carry on.
Somehow.
I will never understand why you seem to think that what you say only applies to professional travelers and full-time RVers. If that be so, then why can I, who am neither of those, also understand the message that you purport is so exclusive? You may have learned your important lessons in that way but there are many roads to the golden city.
TomInBellaVista said…
Yay, Advice that I can really use. It's way too long a story to explain how it has come to pass that I can haul my bike along on our next outdoor venture, but I'm quietly celebrating the fact that mine is coming along and also my wife wants to take hers! Miracle of miracles! Your suggestions as to places to ride really whets my appetite for our forthcoming venture.

Seriously, Thanks for the tip, really encouragement to allow for the possibility of two wheeling in neat places.
Wayne, I too think it's easier to read certain things on a blog than to hear it, face to face.

You can always email any questions you have about mountain bicycle selection. Choosing the right bike is easier than the right route, but maybe I should do a post on the bikes themselves.
George, you rode a horse long distance on the plains? Gee, you should post about that!

I don't think travelers are the center of the universe. I value non-RVer readers/commenters like you ENORMOUSLY. But most of my readers are RVers, for better or for worse, so I use that as an anchor point.
Tom, well hey, that's good news about your bicycles and upcoming trip. Just try to insulate your minds from the mountain bike glossy magazines and the books and brochures. They'll try to brainwash you onto a trail that you won't enjoy.
TomInBellaVista said…
It's a fact of life, unfortunately, that this senior has allowed his physical condition to deteriorate as it has. It's a real outing for me to ride a local paved five mile trail that follows a creek. Out and back, 10 miles. We have miles of single track available, and I'm absolutely not tempted. It wasn't that many years ago that I regularly rode 75 road miles on a Saturday.

Your cautionary note appreciated, but unfortunately not really necessary.

PS: The old farts you ride with in Yuma are way beyond my capability. It was a little unsettling to read about them. ...If only I'd stayed with the bike :(
XXXXX said…
Not a long distance, though that was definitely part of my image. That was my point though.....it doesn't take much to get there.
Tesaje said…
Advice. Some take even the most benign advice as a personal insult to their competence. Their umbrage says more about them than the adviser. Being one who is fairly accomplished at many things and thus being in a position to advise, find it more soothing to the receiver to state such advice in terms of this is what works for me and why. Then, it isn't so much me directing people how they should do things as imparting information they might or might not find useful. I have learned many, many things and increased my competence by asking and taking advice from people. Being ego driven is an impediment to learning.

I wish my injuries would allow me more bike time. Interesting point about the bike being a modern equivalent to the horse of yore. The big difference is that with a bike, the human provides all locomotion whereas the horse did all the hard work. It takes a level of fitness to do the bike alternative even in more forgiving landscapes.
Does the horse work all that hard? I've only been on horses for a couple hours during my lifetime. But a horse weighs 1000 pounds, so...

Anyway, I appreciate your point about imparting information, as opposed to explicitly telling somebody else what they SHOULD do.
Unknown said…
On a steel horse I ride. Mountain biking since me and my buddies "invented" it back in the mid 70's. Only it was on converted road bikes with the fattest tires we could find. I avoid jerseys, special this and that and ride for the pure fun of it. If it isn't fun, I don't ride it.
Mike
35 year mtn bike "veteran" haha...
Unknown said…
On a steel horse I ride. Mountain biking since me and my buddies "invented" it back in the mid 70's. Only it was on converted road bikes with the fattest tires we could find. I avoid jerseys, special this and that and ride for the pure fun of it. If it isn't fun, I don't ride it.
Mike
35 year mtn bike "veteran" haha...
Michael said…
Boonie,

I think you should give advice--I say, presuming to give advice--but fine-tune the method of delivery. You're obviously unusually intelligent and a big-picture, independent thinker , and the world is a better place when such high-quality perspectives are shared with others.


As Wayne said, and you agreed, offering advice in a blog is more comfortable for most to accept than directly and in person.

Tesaje's suggestion is good, too: Use "I messages," in other words, talk about what has worked for you, and why--instead of telling others what they should do.

Another technique I use, even when getting paid for my advice, is to ask permission. I might say something like: "May I offer a suggestion?...or is now not a good time?" This way I've given them the dignity and power of choosing whether to get advice...and even spared them the indignity of admitting that they aren't receptive to input. (They can hide behind my offered alternative that it may be just a bad time.) If they say yes to hearing my suggestion, they're more likely to be receptive; and if they say no, I was spared the frustration of "talking to a wall" and meeting resistance or resentment.

Again, though, I for one want to hear your advice...on RVing overall, on society, and on anything else that occurs to you. No independent-minded person will agree with all of your ideas, but most intelligent people will find many of your ideas stimulating, at least...and perhaps significantly educational or inspiring.

(And that's another technique of protecting the advisee's dignity. Offer a sincere compliment about their strong points and achievements, etc., thus making it less likely they will feel disrespected by suggestions. Oh...and calling it a "suggestion" or a "thought" is usually easier to hear than calling it "advice.")

I'm really enjoying your writings.

Michael
XXXXX said…
There's yet another way which is to sprinkle the advice with an abundance of compliments, which Michael demonstrates so well. A little bit of sugar does help the medicine go down.
I agree. Michael added a good comment.