Skip to main content

An Under-rated Outdoor Folk Dance

Yuma, AZ. Didn't Aristotle say that the aim of a good tragedy was to give the audience a katharsis, a violent expurgation of the soul? But who needs a tragedy? Wouldn't a rousing folk dance do the job? Before the television era, many people would have answered 'yes'. There are still sporting events in large stadiums that can provide a catharsis to the audience.

There are even more examples of how to purge the soul, and I just got back from one. After being a mountain biker/hiker for the last couple years, I got back on the road bicycle and did a club ride, my first in 5 years. If more people just understood what they are missing...

Many of the people in the club are 70-ish. They are fast! They used to hike on Wednesday, for variety's sake; but that tradition has been eliminated, perhaps because too many people were complaining of sore this and that when hiking, although they can pedal a "metric century" on any given day.

They are few moments sweeter than lying down for a nap after a great ride, especially if there are loving dogs on the bed. Such relaxation. Although any aerobic exercise outdoors will have that effect, cycling works better than most for completely other reasons.

Now, I don't want people to think I'm gossiping about hikers behind their backs...well OK, but just this once...but one needs a certain speed when exercising to work you into euphoria. Hiking is just so slow, it's almost donkey-like. And then there are those Tilley hats and khaki and olive green colors!

Cycling in a group does more than let you feed off of others' energy, as in a folk dance. It makes you 10 times safer on the road.

So for those who think that Yuma is ugly and that there is prettier scenery in other parts of Arizona: you are right. But who cares? The enjoyment of pretty scenery is as subject to Diminishing Marginal Utility ("diminishing returns") as anything else in this old world of ours.

This is just one example of the best way for an early retiree/full time RVer to live: get the benefits of living in the RV, but don't become a part of mainstream RV culture. Find locals who really add something to your life. They do exist and they are worth it.

Comments

Glad you enjoyed a local ride! Your post reminded me of a ride I took with a group I often camp with - it was about 7 miles downhill, so we had a beautiful 'coast' down through some beautiful trees. I was gauging the decline and thinking that the return trip would be a good workout. Imagine my surprise when we reached the turn-around and found several spouses with vehicles ready to ferry us back to the campground!!
Pat said…
Some people like Tilley hats and khakis and others like neon spandex. Lol. Glad you enjoyed your ride.
Unknown said…
As individuals, our view of the world and experience is ours alone.

I take exception to your "...one needs a certain speed when exercising to work you into euphoria..." Sorry, but as a long time hiker and one time snow shoeing (and seeing lots of Nature's scenery along the way), I've had many "highs" out there along the trails. That "high" is the reason I keep hiking -- with and/or without other hikers.
Unknown said…
As individuals, our view of the world and experience is ours alone.

As a long time hiker and one time snow shoer, I have had many "highs" while walking through Nature's scenery. That is the reason to keep hiking -- alone or with others.
Pat, I can't resist poking fun at the dowdy clothing of birdwatchers and hikers! (grin) By the way, my hiking outfit is khaki, off-white, and dirty.

Anne, Coasting downhill and then getting a car ride back up. I'm sorry, we can't endorse that policy on this blog. (grin)
Wandrin Lloyd, Wandrin Lloyd, I thought the hiker "lobby" might object to what I said about the slow-movingness of hiking being a disadvantage. Note that I did not deny that hiking had its unique advantages.

Obviously I don't want to talk you out of enjoying your hikes. I was just offering a general opinion.

Try to imagine how bored a windsurfer would be if their top speed was 3 mph.

Or imagine canoeing across a large lake and barely be able to tell you're moving.

Cross country skiing can seem like mere trudging unless you can blast downhill some of the time.
XXXXX said…
I don't understand how there can be such a thing as getting the benefits of living in an RV if one does not enjoy being a part of the RV culture.
I think a big part of your high rested more on simply having some enjoyable human companionship, some spontaneous and shared mutual enjoyment, something you naturally do not have when you live miles away from others. It must be hard to reckon all your parts into one life. You are a man of many contradictions.
George, one needn't be a part of a culture to get the practical benefits of the machine.

For instance, just about everybody has a car, but only a small percentage are into antique car shows, car mags, 50s diners, Route 66 nostalgia, etc.

Even in the case of bicycling, I've never been part of bicycling culture despite having spent much of my life on a bike. By cycling culture I mean getting into a pissing contest with the boys over whose $300 seat post has the ultimate performance/weight ratio, shaving the legs, eating expensive energy bars, doing things that are blatantly dangerous because you look more cool or hard ass, etc.
Gee, it seems you can't go very long without smacking some one-thing-group-opinion in the face.

I don't think you should worry about becoming part of the RV "culture." They wouldn't accept you! :)
Box Canyon Mark
XXXXX said…
The bicycling culture as you describe it serves a purpose, I suppose. Comradery, bonding, etc. People do engage in a lot of symbolic behavior which supports our human instincts.
Mark, Is that a promise?--that RV culture won't accept me. (grin)
Ed said…
I bicycled for enough years that I saw a lot of the 'bicycling culture' of which you speak.
The great divide was road vs mountain, then within the road category there were the racing vs touring subsets. Then within touring you had the sag supported vs non-supported divide once again.
This went on and on until near the end of my bicycling days I was almost a sub-sub-subset of one. Riding a tadpole trike (a subset of trikes) using a Rohloff Speedhub (an internal geared rear hub).
Ed, there's a culturual subset that you missed: the single speed bike, based on an expensive lightweight frame.

I roll my eyes when I see those things. My grandfather once told me that, if you live long enough, there is nothing that you won't see become popular at some time or other.
Jim and Gayle said…

South Texas isn't so scenic, either, but we are biking almost every day.
You just might convince us to give Yuma another try.
Jim and Gayle, I forgot to mention that Yuma road cycling has been semi-revolutionized by a new truck bypass route that connects it with San Luis (on the border.) There is virtually no traffic on this route, and it's wide and smooth, and a lane-wide shoulder.

But it's the club that really matters.