Skip to main content

The Fresh Promise of a New Day

The birds start their days between 0450 and 0500. How sensible they are! There is just enough light to see the outlines of the mountains, yet a planet or two is still visible. Dawn is always like this; fresh and full of promise.

If I had a tripod I might try to photograph dawn. But that may be the wrong approach. The appeal of dawn is only partly visual.The other senses awaken. Most of all, the imagination awakens.

Nobody at the campground is up. They sleep through the best part of the day. What are they thinking -- that it is too cold at dawn? There are no mosquitoes at this time of the day, and that is no small advantage. Colorado is not a bug-free state like New Mexico. There is no wind at this time of the day. No rain.

But the true miracle of dawn is that the world is not over-populated. Still, I would like to see a lonely campfire, making some cowboy coffee. I might even invite myself in and try to find out how that person thinks.



Comments

XXXXX said…
I've made that mistake many times myself.....thinking that if a certain person liked this or that certain thing, then it was a sign of something promising within that person, surely more wonderful experiences to share....ah, a soul traveler on this planet for sure.
But no. Always disappointed.
It's just an archetype.
George
Agree, George. I too have thought that common interests are a basis of friendship, and then was disappointed, fooled, or just plain burned.
XXXXX said…
When I feel that same urge that you described, I ask myself what is it I am longing for, what am I hoping to find. The honest answer for me is "affirmation." I'm looking for a likeness of spirit, a likeness of thinking. Actually, that's why I come here too.
It's just being human and we all need to find it somewhere for we are social animals and we suffer from some form of being crazy if we don't find it somehow.
I may live in a city, etc., but still it is quite possible to be reclusive, etc. It is a matter of actively managing a suitable balance between social connection and individuality.
George
XXXXX said…
And, actually, an expansion of horizons is necessary for social satisfaction as well. Otherwise it's just power and manipulation if all I should want is to convince you I am right.
I read an interesting observation lately about this "expansion of horizons" concept.....when a relationship is lacking in this regard, there is no attraction for there is no energy. Dullsville.
Again.....unless one just wants power and control.

Me shut up now.
George