I wasn't paying any attention to the news for a few days. So it was shocking to learn of President Dubya/Obama/Hilary/theDonald's attack on Syria. But why was I surprised?
Donald Trump doesn't have the patience for walking important legislation through Congress. He is no deal-making, arm-twisting, cajoling political leader. Who cares whether Americans can afford health care, college, or $60,000 pickup trucks. He is simply an egotistical, knee-jerking, publicity hound, who is going to enjoy military bluster around the globe.
That's why I wouldn't vote for him (or the other candidate.)
I have a lot of catching up to do with reading editorials. So far, they look pretty good. But then again, they are missing the point. It doesn't matter about the Why or the Who Did It. It only matters that a large fraction of the American public likes having a militaristic strong man in the White House.
They ain't got no interest in nambie pambie doubts and complaints such as:
1. What legal right did Trump have?
2. Has Syria attacked the USA?
3. What vital American interest is at stake?
4. What reason would Assad have to play with chemical weapons, when he is winning the war anyway?
5. If president Obama/Trump did succeed in deposing Assad, who would replace him, and why would he be any better?
6. What the hell is the USA doing in Syria anyway?
But jingoes don't care about that. They want to stick out their chests and walk with an extra bounce in their steps because they feel strong. Their country is strong. They wanted a president who said he'd make America great again, and -- according to the jingoes -- the president has. No arguments matter.