Skip to main content

Metaphorical Caption Contest

After an evening rain I awoke to fog and low clouds playing games with the mesas of central Utah. Actually it seemed more like a rapid military invasion and conquest.


I was quite sincere in my Photographic Manifesto that there is a worthwhile purpose to cluttering the internet with one more photograph. That purpose is the visual representation of an important idea, rather than trivial prettiness and entertainment. Visual representations of ideas have advantages over the tedious word-wrangling of authors.

The trick is to photograph things that suggest -- that lure -- the viewer into finishing the connection between different objects in the photograph. But it must not be too difficult to make the connection, or the viewer won't even try. They will just say, "This photograph really ain't that purdy." And then turn away from it.

It would please me to see readers offer metaphorical captions to the photograph above. For my part, it reminds me of the essay by William Graham Sumner, "The Conquest of the United States by Spain." (in his essays, a free ebook from libertyFund.org )  When two opponents fight a war, the "winner" might end up taking the form of the loser. Looking back on it, the nominal winner may ask, "What was the point of the war? We became what we hated." The fog seems to be doing that to the mesa.

Comments

Anonymous said…
No one wants to be first...

For my (anonymous) part, the photo reminds me that everything is temporary, and that some things are more temporary than others.
Ed said…
I don't have a Caption for the photo.

What I do have is a free Kindle download for "Democracy: The God that Failed" - found it by accident. It is going to be week or two before I can even think about reading it but I'll provide a review when I do.
How the heck did you get a free Kindle download of that book!? I assumed it would be $20 Kindle and $35 hardback.
At first I didn't understand how you could get that from that photo, but now I see it. Say, that makes me feel pretty good.
Ed said…
As I said it was found by accident and it may be 'bootleg'. The MOBI file that I downloaded does show the copy write page but I can not find any pages that claim they produced it i.e. Gutenburg's multiple pages taking credit or FEE, Mises & Liberty Fund.