Skip to main content

A Shopping Orgy at the Best Outdoors Store

It is so strange going through small towns in the ranching country of the West. Especially shopping. You can not avoid the feeling that the purpose of life for these businesses is to be closed. No wonder there is a Dollar Store in the tiniest and most impoverished town.

Show Low, AZ, is one of the few shopping meccas for me, on my annual loop. As always, I visited a couple car dealerships. I come away shaking my head about how ignorant car salesmen are about the product itself. They only know about the process of selling: demographics, applied psychology, and filling out the paperwork. The average customer could not care less about the $60,000 pickup truck they just got suckered into. They only care about the monthly payment and whether it is huge and showy, and raises their self-esteem. Imagine that: a culture where people get a boost to their self-esteem by being a fool!

But this post has good news: I had a wonderful time at my favorite store for outdoor products. I didn't even know that that chain had a store in this town. 

Years ago my favorite store might have been REI. The last time I looked at their website, the prices appalled me. On top of that their greenie posturing is offensive to me. They have become a boutique for wealthy Blue-staters, living in metropolitan areas.

For awhile, some years back, my favorite store might have been Cabela's. But today, they are just a theme park for wealthy Red-staters. Their customer is the type who would spend $3000 on a puppy from a breeder because of its hunting pedigree; but then the guy goes hunting one weekend a year.

My favorite store is Sportsman's Warehouse. For the no-nonsense outdoorsman.

Comments

Steve said…
You have hit the nail on the head for the all three ... car salesmen, REI and Cabela's.
Emjay said…
You are right. As an ex-pat Arizonan, I was introduced to Sportsman's Warehouse four years ago on our family's annual camping get-together (only this SW is in Tucson). This place has even the AG Fish and Game folks in our family in a happy dance. Good, reasonable prices mostly and USEFUL gear beyond camo underpants in vogue at the "other" places. Smiles.
Emjay, you hit the nail on the head by capitalizing 'USEFUL'. Outdoor boutiques are of no interest to SERIOUS outdoorsmen!
Sportsman's Warehouse even had a decently priced doggie saddlebags. The first company that came out with these, a few years back, charged astronomical cyootsie-wootsie prices. But they had a second product line offered that was reasonable.
Anonymous said…
Today's my lucky day! I'm proud to be Purple-stater and all 3 mentioned stores are within 10-15 miles of me. I can play one off the other when I shop for my camo skivvies.

Chris (Denver)
Ed said…
I seriously doubt that the Show Low store was ever an REI. I know almost nothing about Cabela's but I doubt that it was ever one of their stores either.
REI was a good mail order source for hiking and camping supplies back in the 1970's. I think they are still a good source of climbing supplies. Their move to sticks-n-bricks retail in large metro areas with an expanded list of 'sports' merchandise was not a good move in my opinion but was 'progress' within our culture during the past 50 years.