Skip to main content

Combining Vehicle Camping with the Great Divide Route

Every year at this time of the year I look forward to reading the travel blogs by people mountain biking the Great Divide Route (GDR). (Do not confuse this with backpacking the Continental Divide Trail.) The GDR is a selection of dirt national forest and BLM roads, and occasionally paved highways, that stays close to the continental divide. The northern terminus is Banff park in Alberta, whereas the southern terminus is the New Mexican/Mexican border at Antelope Wells.

Yes I know, some readers think I dislike travel blogs. But there are some that really do involve adventure. It is a great thing to find them and read them. For instance, if you read the blog of this group getting ready to mountain bike the GDR, you will probably be infected with their anticipation.

An opportunity is being missed here. A person might love the scenery and mountain biking, but dislike the tent camping and the need to find water, biking too many miles per day, biking during monsoonal afternoon hail storms at 10,000 feet, etc. You might love sharing a campfire at night with other people, having somebody in a supportive group to pull your vehicle through a sandy spot, etc.

There are many things to enjoy about an adventure like this if you could just eliminate tent camping. I love coming into my RV at night. The same could be said of camping out of a CUV, pickup truck with a cap, or full-sized van. Vehicles would not need to be outlandish and extreme four-wheel-drive rigs. But they couldn't be suburban houses-on-wheels either: Class A motorhomes, Class C motorhomes with 15 feet of butt hanging out the back, or 30 foot long travel trailers.

It is easy to combine mountain biking and "vehicle camping" by playing leap frog with the mountain bikes: you ride off in the morning, checking out the dirt road. When you've had enough, you ride back to your vehicle, and then drive your vehicle to some spot you found on the morning's bike ride.

It takes the right personality to get a group like this going, and I doubt that I have it. But it is worth talking it up, nevertheless. One of these days, somebody who is right for the job might get the idea and act on it.

Comments

Steve said…
Riding in the rain reminded me of my cross country trip on my Chrome Moly Framed Nishiki in 1976. Stopped in the park in LaJunta Colorado, started to sleep with my wet clothes scattered around the city park. Woken by a couple of LaJunta's finest and giving me an offer to sleep in their jail for free. Was not arrested.

By the next morning all of my clothes had been washed and dried, even folded. Breakfast was served and a few stars were written in my journal next to LaJunta, Colorado.
In post 9/11 Amerika, you WOULD be arrested that night!
John V said…
If you eliminate the tent camping part of the GDR trip you lose a big part of the adventure element. Leap frogging with a camper is just another form of "glamping". That doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun, but I wouldn't say it fits with your described vision of adventure.
To me, tent camping was nothing more than a bothersome and inefficient form of housekeeping.
Wayne (Wirs) said…
You know you want to. As you're laying on your death bed, you'll say, "Why didn't I do the GDR, tent camping and all, and fly back to Antelope Wells to pick up my rig in the winter? Why? Why?"
KB, this is a great video on the GD Trail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_28YltsuY
I'll have to wait until the next time I go to McDonalds to watch it. But I checked out the blog. The banner photo showed him bicycling in winter in frozen high-altitude tundra. It might be easier than monsoonal mud!
The music is all by people he met on the road. His stuff really takes you there. He's a Canadian originally from Bulgaria.
Sondra said…
Hut to Hut to me is a good idea... although I have no worries about sleeping in a tent as I did that while backpacking.
That might be true for some people, Wayne, but not for me. I like day tripping.
It would be nice if there were more opportunities for hut to hut.
Ed said…
The premise that you have offered up seems to be a hut to hut with movable huts.

This would work great if you could find drivers that were willing to move the rigs everyday, have them set up, a hearty meal ready and a cold adult beverage at the ready when you arrived. That might even get me back on a bike.
Ed, vehicle campers would have so many comforts and fun that the EXTREMES couldn't have, not just with respect to camping, but they would also have the fun of pedaling an unloaded mountain bike.

A bicycle should be the moral equivalent of the horse: fast, glamorous, the transportation choice of an aristocratic warrior caste, rampaging and conquering on the Eurasian steppe or the Iberian peninsula. Loading up a bicycle with camping crap lowers the noble steed to the level of a peasant's burro.
it's hard to ride bikes in mountains, better walking. In the morning I like walking into the wild and get back to my motorhome late