Skip to main content

Architecture Enables Lifestyle

Most people probably think that architecture is partly civil engineering and partly artistic design and beauty. How important is the subject of beauty to architecture? For the moment let's interpret 'beauty' the way that most would: a combination of shapes, colors, and textures that are somehow pleasing to the eye.

Shapes?  A rectangle is a rectangle, an arch is an arch. There are only so many building materials and most of them are flat, so you can build with only so many shapes. Even when you see a structure as radical as a geodesic dome, you have to eventually say, "So, I now know what an equilateral triangle is."

Colors? How many colors can a building have?  White, earth tones, metallic grey, rust. Anything else would look ridiculous or age in an unseemly way.

Texture? Rough or smooth.

Of course, reductionism like this is unfair. Couldn't we also say, "How many notes are in the musical scale? So when you've heard a few minutes of any music, you've heard it all?"

Or if you were sitting at an outdoor cafe in Paris in spring, and the young buckaroos were doing some serious girl-watching, would you volunteer, "Well after all, they all have the same parts. The end result is just diapers and bills-to-pay?"

OK, so I admit that beauty does exist in architecture, but unless you plan on hiring an architect and spending millions of dollars on some edifice, how important can it really be to most of us?

So then, let's dismiss (visual) beauty from our consideration of architecture, and find something else to value.

I gave a hint in the title of the last post, What is Architecture? Recall Tolstoy's book, "What is Art."  He rejects the conventional idea that art is all about beauty, and decides in favor of defining art as a work that infectiously transfers emotions from the artist to the viewer/reader/listener.

Let's do somewhat the same thing regarding architecture. Last post, a commenter started maneuvering towards the idea of architecure possessing moral beauty and expressing cultural values. This is the right direction, I think, but it would take a book to discuss it all. Let's specialize the value of architecture to the question of,  "How does it let me live?" (I am not discussing how one should live.)

In the rat race, one's life is pretty much consumed by the standard things. Even in retirement, I'm not sure that the architecture of a stick-and-brick house would affect your lifestyle all that much.

The best examples of how architecture can affect your lifestyle are:

1. Sailboats, especially during the Age of Discovery, when Europe basically took over the world.
2. Tepees of indigenous tribes in North America.
3. The wagons of the Roma, aka gypsies.
4. Wagons of the North American (European) pioneers.
5. Igloos of the esquimaux. 

Alas, these are all in the past. In the modern world, the architecture of RVs is probably the limiting case of  architecture-leading-to-lifestyle. And yet it so easy to design or buy an RV without really focusing on how it will let you live!

Despite all my years of experience in this racket, when I think about the design of a rig, my mind doesn't switch to "How will it let me live?" as rapidly as it should. Instead, it wallows in secondary issues such as motorhome versus trailer, size, weight, brand, color, style, floor plan.

I will skip the ritualistic flailing at, and spoon-feeding of, "practical"  details. Anyone who is near retirement age and has owned a house can work all that out for themselves. But they may benefit from being reminded to always put "How will I live" at the front of their mind.

Comments

Ed said…
Great posting.

I think many Fulltime RVers fail to ask that very question "How will I live" and become disenchanted with what they thought to be the perfect floor plan or find it too small, to big etc.

Those that are successful know how they want to live and buy a RV that will allow them to live that way. Or, they buy a RV and adapt the way they live to what they have bought with no regrets about making changes in their life.
XXXXX said…
I see you have taken down "Fountainhead" as your current read. Aw, come on now, aren't you going to bite the bullet?
Does this discussion of architecture not get applied to the book? To Howard Roark? To conventionality vs nonconformity, to "selfishness?"
Perhaps "How Do I LIve" is a bigger question than the type of dwelling I choose.
Oh boy, I feel a roll coming on.
George, I took it down because I have finished reading the book, and am now working on another.

I'm not sure whether I will discuss the Fountainhead itself. Ayn Rand is polarizing and controversial and, as you know, I only believe in writing sugary and innocuous pabulum, cheery platitudes, etc. (grin)

For better or worse, I tend not to rehash books but, rather, to squirrel away juicy quotes from them, to whip out when the opportunity arises. That is the difference between regurgitation and digestion. (or defecation.)
Ed, it is insidious the way that secondary issues seem to grab the RVers attention. Perhaps it is because they are coming from a normal house, wherein lifestyle WASN'T affected by architecture that much. "Lifestyle" means coming home from work and shopping errands, tired and frazzled, crashing in front of the television for a couple hours, and getting up the next day to fight the traffic...

Then on the weekend you do more shopping, always more. And mow the lawn.
XXXXX said…
It seems it's more the 9 to 5 job that one can hate which is your main point.
So for you who loves quotes, here's one: Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life. That's actually attributed to Confucius.
Glad to hear you see how RVers can reduce themselves to a silly discussion of differences as well. I consciously choose a house with a yard as I garden and grow my own stuff. I also volunteer quite a lot for something I believe in and, although considered "work" by most standards, it is pure joy to me.
We all have chores, you know, and some of us may actually enjoy cutting the grass. Truth be told, KB, I wouldn't enjoy in the slightest cycling all the time.
All spoken to open the doors to CHOICE. True choice. A lifestyle or way of living chosen with awareness vs. simply following a path others have chosen for you.
What's that other quote about making one's own path in the forest rather than following the one already there?
Ed said…
Since you just finished The Fountainhead you may like reading this: "Ayn Rand and Murray Rothbard, The Verdict after Fifty Years" a speech given to Freedom Fest, Las Vegas, NV by
Nelson Hultberg. This is the link: http://afr.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Rand-Rothbard-Speech.pdf
Yes, I too really loved gardening before I sold my house and became an RVer. It is the only part of the stick-and-brick lifestyle that I really miss. I just had to give in on it.
John V said…
Come on up to Idaho this summer. There aren't any "sticks and bricks" and we'll put you to work in the garden and the orchard. If you prove competent, we may even let you use a chainsaw or opetate other mechanized equipment. Coffee Girl and our Knuckleheads can lay in the shade and watch.