Skip to main content

In the World, but Not Of It

In contrast to the solitary traveling and mountain biking that I do the rest of the year, midwinter is the season for non-traveling and sociable road cycling with an excellent club in Yuma. I love having a library card and the public library to use it at. But there is an even more radical lifestyle-adjustment: I bought a television antenna so I can watch football. They actually have broadcast stations here.

In watching television, and especially the commercials, I get the profound satisfaction of feeling that "I am in this country and culture, but am not of it." That is an old saying in various religions [*]. I suppose it is usually a mere platitude for them, but no doubt some religious people really mean it. In any case I would like to apply this platitude to the internet, as well. 

Yes, I use the phrase 'profound satisfaction' too often. But it really is true that, at times, you need to slow down and let the sweetness and significance soak in.

The internet is not the moral and intellectual garbage dump that television is. So I don't really hate the internet. But the repetition that I encounter daily is really starting to bore me. Could I do something better than waste $53 per month on a wireless data plan of 5 GigaBytes? Perhaps the pre-pay plan of Walmart would discipline an internet junkie. There are enough free WiFi hotspots, such as the library, that would still keep me from being totally shut off. I wonder if I am just bluffing?

Afraid that Yuma doesn't look like this. But road cyclists don't look at the scenery anyway.

[*] It is not straining an analogy to bring up the history of Christianity before the Roman establishment co-opted it.  Christians were not persecuted for what they believed in, but for what they didn't believe in or pay lip service to. They were considered dangerous atheists because they wouldn't worship Caesar and the traditional gods; doing so was virtually a loyalty oath to the Roman "system."

Our culture's polytheism worships such gods as the Media, Debt, Consumerism, the democratic "General Will," the President and his Legions spread over the empire, etc. These are what an early retiree will not worship. It is our particular form of radical atheism.

Comments

klbexplores said…
Yes and many assume us just as crazy. I have not signed on to another internet package since the demise of Melenicom. I find I don't miss it as much on the home front.... it remains to be seen how much I miss it on the road where local WiFi sites are not as familiar. It seems we are required to adjust to the changing world....like it or not!
XXXXX said…
I almost fell off my chair. KB, watching TV. You're going to have to take off "TV free" in your self description. However, football? My goodness. How about documentaries and public television instead?

You get yourself into boxes sometimes and the TV vs. Internet dichotomy has been one of them. There is absolute crap on both as well as totally worthy things on both.
For me, football would fall into the total crap category. But that's alright. They're all willing adults making a fortune on the same mentality that fueled the Coliseum in Ancient Rome. Just our basic instincts let loose, however, all consenting adults. The players make a fortune and buy their big homes and become massive consumers with massive egos and then sue the teams for brain concussions. But whatever tickles your funny bone!
Remember that my winter lifestyle is supposed to be complementary to the spring/summer/autumn lifestyle.
XXXXX said…
Just one more box.
Glad you are having some success at internet deprogramming. Keep it up. And reveal any tricks of the trade that you come up with.

(Why does your blog take forever to load? High pixel photographs?)
Jim and Gayle said…
kB, thanks for playing our game but George got ya.

Jim