Skip to main content

Returning the Favor of Dog Rescue

(Dispersed camping near Little Texas #3, CO.) Coffee Girl, my Australian kelpie, did not like the intruder, an uncastrated pit bull. In fact I've never heard her growl at another dog before. Initially I thought of getting my foot all the way back, and then kicking its brains in. Like most people, I despise pit bulls.

But wait a minute. It was acting so friendly. The colors were "friendly" too. It had a sore foot. After watering and feeding it, I set up a doggie luxury lounge underneath my trailer.



Why don't people put tags on their dog with their phone number so that somebody in my position would know what to do?

This dog responds so enthusiastically to attention by beating its white-tipped tail that I have started calling it "Tipper." I wish it were putting a little more weight on its sore foot. On Monday I'll take it to the animal shelter. Too bad.

Anyway this is such a sweet dog that it is a pleasure to return the favor to some stranger that Will F. did for another stranger -- me -- several years ago when he rescued my little poodle after he had run off; he had freaked out because of the echo of gunfire by target practicers, when we were getting ready to camp at the foot of Book Cliffs near Grand Junction, CO.

The heroic elk hunter from Idaho, who rescued my Little Poodle several years ago.
Let's just hope that the owner wants their dog back. This affable monster sure eats a lot of food!

Comments

I have found pit bulls to be exceptionally friendly pups. I also do not agree that MOST people despise pit bulls. That is only your pre disposed prejudice showing the world the real you.
Don't you get it? Without the prejudice, there would be no drama, no meaning to the experience. It would just be a bland nothingness, and not worth writing about.
Sondra said…
Thank you for helping a lost animal find its way!! Your efforts will be rewarded!! Hope you find out where he belongs--
XXXXX said…
That is true. Drama is, indeed, a perfect word for basically the meaning we infuse into everything is a personal thing and doesn't speak for any sort of universal truth.
"Bland nothingness" is not worth writing about? Although I wouldn't put this peace of mind so negatively, I do think that being aware of this constant judgment into everything is a tiring habit and wastes quite a lot of time AND creates a lot of needless inner turmoil.
At any rate, I do recall you saying somewhere along the line that you originally did not like dogs much at all and it was your little dog that converted you. Well, perhaps this little pit bull will do the same. Usually dogs running around around without a collar is something that happens on purpose. How are your two dogs getting along now?
Sondra, thanks for the kind words. I wish I was as optimistic as you. I am more inclined to believe that 'no good deed goes unpunished.'
Thanks, George, glad you appreciated the drama in the situation. I can see you have a higher opinion of "quietism" or Valium-capsule-like "peace of mind" than I do. (grin) I like "inner turmoil," just like a feisty little terrier does, at the dog park.
edlfrey said…
kaBLOOnie is more bark that bite. You should see how he and my American Staffordshire Bull Terrier (ie Pit Bull to some people) get along. She loves him and throws a fit every time they get to see each other. She may have even softened his heart toward the breed just a little.

I hope Coffee Girl has extended her paw of friendship after the initial 'misunderstanding'.
Jim and Gayle said…
The dog might be chipped. You might want to have a vet check.
Indeed, Patches might have lowered my fear of "bull" type breeds!
Hopefully they can do that check at the animal shelter.
Unknown said…
What's the matter? Are you not good enough to have two dogs?
One has to be practical. One dog works better for my space and lifestyle.
Unknown said…
come on, take a joke. I know the handbrake of too many lost dogs and not enough phisical room.