Skip to main content

Taking Nominations for a Lightweight Tow Vehicle

It is easy to overlook things when you think alone, so I might benefit from readers' ideas about choosing a tow vehicle to pull my converted cargo trailer: 2900 pounds loaded, 6 foot wide, 350 pounds of tongue weight.

But before getting concrete, let's reflect on the temptations in thinking that I can tow this trailer with 'almost anything.' Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said something like 'A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing?' Well, 'brevity is the soul of wit' and that aphorism is brief, pithy, and easy to remember. But is it actually informative about what makes a cynic? I think not.

A cynic is not a "negative" person. Rather, he is someone who has been undisciplined with his expectations about new situations and people. He has the bad habit of expecting too much, and therefore, he is usually disappointed, if not completely disillusioned, by how things turn out. He then reacts to that disappointment by throwing mud at new things that come along; it's his way of protecting himself from yet another disappointment.

And that is my situation with selecting a new tow vehicle for a lightweight trailer. I'm being sucked into exciting fantasies about all the new choices open to me: no more 15 mpg unhitched, impossible parking, difficulty in getting turned around, and taking up the entire width of a dirt road with a whale of a tow vehicle. No more am I enslaved to 3/4 ton pickups or vans, with gas-sucking V8 engines. Now I can at least open my mind to:

1.  Half-ton pickups or vans that ride smoother and get better fuel economy unhitched. Most of my miles are driven unhitched. They are still too large in dimensions though, but I would choose a regular cab with a 6.5 foot bed.

2.  Midsize pickups like the Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. (They don't come in regular cabs, though.) In 2015 Chevy is bringing back a completely redesigned midsize "Colorado."  Too bad that Ford sells Rangers all over most of the world, but not in North America. And why doesn't anybody make a mid-size van like the old Astro?

3. Truck-based SUVs like the Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4Runner, or Jeep Wrangler.

4. Car-based crossover SUVs (Dodge Durango, Subaru Outback, Toyota Highlander, Ford Escape, or Chevy Traverse) as long as they have V6 engines and tow packages.

And what about the Ford Econoline van's successor, the 2015 Transit full-size van? I would get the half-ton, short wheelbase, V6 model. But I have yet to see one! Ford has worn out my patience on this. Also I'm skeptical about the ground clearance. Ideally I prefer a used vehicle with low mileage; vehicles that are new in 2015 kill that option.

My new tow vehicle needs ground clearance "noticeably" better than a passenger car. That kills the Ford Transit Connect and mini-vans. But what about crossover SUVs? I have ridden in Subarus and been very impressed with their ground clearance. I had another fantasy when riding in my friend's Honda Odyssey minivan. How nice it would serve if it just had more ground clearance! But how do you "lift" a front-wheel-drive minivan? Growl. 

My mind used to be closed against towing with a car-body (aka, a unibody, stamped sheet metal that is spot welded together.) All of the crossover SUVs are built this way. How could you attach a decent hitch to thin sheet metal?

Then I crawled underneath a Hyundai Santa Fe and saw that they had two heavy rectangular steel tubes affixed somehow to the rear of the car. The class 3 hitch was then attached to these two heavy steel tubes. So I am more optimistic about crossover SUVs now.

Four wheel drive is not necessary, nor is all-wheel-drive. I lean towards rear-wheel-drive. Remember that modern vehicles all have (brake-actuated) traction control systems.

I am used to the cargo-carrying capacity of a full-sized van, which is extraordinary! Obviously much of that stuff will have to be downsized; and I am already working on that. 

But it must be able to accommodate two bicycles standing up inside the cargo area. Obviously the front wheels will be removed and I could tolerate lowering the saddle. Storing bicycles inside a vehicle is not as hard as it sounds, because only one gets used in any given season. Therefore it is sensible to spend 10 minutes dismantling the out-of-season bicycle.  You just put them parallel, head to tail, with foam in between, and smoosh the whole thing tight with straps.

Please don't mention storing them outside the vehicle. Unacceptable. 
___________________________________

Update: I ran into an informative article that explained how the Dodge Durango is the only rear-wheel-drive crossover SUV. It comes with the Pentastar V6 engine standard, but the hemi V8 is an option. It is rare for a V8 to be offered as an option with crossovers. But even with the V6, the tow rating is a whopping 6400 pounds. 

With its standard 8-speed transmission, its EPA fuel economy rating is 25 mpg on the highway!


Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
All of the vehicles I mentioned as possibilities have nominal tow ratings of 3500 pounds or more. Tow ratings are like fuel economy ratings: they are better for relative comparisons between Vehicle X and Vehicle Y than for absolute accuracy for a given vehicle.

Besides, towing is a statistical thing. Newbies always ask, "Can pickup A tow trailer B?" as if the question is yes/no, when in fact it is statistical. Ultimately what matters is that you know the limits and dangers of your tow vehicle and trailer and back off when you sense a yellow light blinking in the back of your head.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toyota Tacoma or a Toyota FJ, but be prepared for sticker shock. But I have 150,000 miles on my FJ and have only had to put in a new battery (at 149k) and no other fixes of any kind, except new tires. I did just get new spark plugs, but it was running fine (I got a tune up because I'm heading to Alaska).The mechanics tell me the FJ has very few problems and is super reliable. Will tow 5k, though your hitch weight is about 100# over. A Taco with a shell would be great, too, and I think they're rated to about 7500#. Both would accommodate bikes, and you can even sleep in the FJ.
Thanks for the information on the Toyota FJ. I have a prejudice against "orphaned" models (i.e., ones that are no longer made) but maybe I should get over that.
edlfrey said…
If I remember right, at one time you were looking at the Nissan NV1500 standard roof with a V6. There are some used available and I thought that would be a good tow vehicle for you. Ground clearance of 8+" and enough room for the two bicycles and other 'stuff' that you can not part with. I think it would get about the same gas milage as a Nissan Xterra and I don't see you as a SUV kind of guy.
I'm with Ed on, "I don't see you as a SUV kind of guy." There's just not enough head room…you'd be fighting to get your bikes in and out of such a space. FYI, the Xterra and Nissan pick ups do not get near the gas milage of ford, chevy, and dodge pickups. the only problem I have with dodge is the problems you will have after purchase.there is a website that rates new vehicles according to "problems"…you might want to check it our. I see a ford or chevy pickup in your future, full size, single cab, short bed. Stick with the plan. A stripped down model with AC can be had for under $24 K, and it will last you the rest of your life…in fact, we'll bury you in it :))
Box Canyon Mark
Post Script:
John Q gets here today sometime. There will be hiking and cookouts.
Yes, Ed, the Nissan NV van is still in contention. But it will only get 2 mpg better than my 1995 Ford Econoline van, and that is pretty unexciting. There is no question of its ability to hold lots of stuff. And it will have a choice of V6 or V8. Traction control on the rear wheel drive will be standard. There won't be a lot of used NV vans going back to 2011, but there will be some.
But I like the compactness of SUVs! It would be irritating to fight and wrestle with the bikes every time I pull one out.

Yes indeed, Nissan fuel economies are disappointing. But there is a reason for that: they haven't kept up with updating their powertrains, like Chevy and Ford. (By the way, neither has Toyota.) So the Nissan engines might be more reliable than the new-fangled engines of Chevy (think direct injectors and high fuel pump repair cost) or Ford (think about spending $10000 to replace that pair of EGO-boost turbochargers.)

Neither Toyota or Nissan has gone to 6 speed transmissions as Chevy and Ford have.

I am leaning towards a Ford F-150 regular cab pickup, rear-wheel-drive, with the naturally-aspirated (i.e., non-turbo-charged) V6 engine.
I miss seeing John Q, but maybe he will pass this area on this way to Crested Butte. You have to remember that the landscape and mountain biking is vastly superior in Gunnison, compared to Ouray.
Re: "But I like the compactness of SUVs!" Yes, but I don't think they are as well built as pickups for dirt roads, as you already alluded to. And, when towing, it will seem like your trailer axle/tires are even wider with a smaller SUV. A tall cap on a pickup would be good…maybe you can find one without windows :)). Measure up the bed if you buy a ford and we'll see if our cap will fit or can be made to fit. If it's just a marginal imperfect fit, I might be able to fabricate some plate metal to give my cap a place to sit and fasten to. We can fasten the plate metal to the bed with small diameter flathead bolts with locknuts. The critical measurement would be the exact length. I'd sure make you a deal as I'd like to get my bed back :)) So, just in case, get a white pickup :))
More "vastly superior" than friends and fellowship??? What, are you micromanaging your travels now…no more "flexibility?"
mark
I don't like windows on a pickup cap but I could make it work anyway, just by covering them with foamboard and thin plywood.

We absent-mindedly forgot to see if the back BIG door of the cap can be opened up when connected to the trailer. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice.

Could you test it on John Q's Aliner?

Geesh, I think you were a Jewish mother in a past life.
Yes, this is the last year they're making them. I think they'll become more collectible because of it, just like the original FJs. They hold their value well.
"Neither Toyota or Nissan has gone to 6 speed transmissions as Chevy and Ford have."

My FJ has six speeds.
John V said…
Ask for opinions about a tow vehicle or what type of RV is best for fulltiming and you will always generate a bunch of comments. If you do go smaller than your current white cargo van, you better revisit your minimalist and diminishing returns ethos. The last time we saw your van, the inside looked like the old TV set of Sanford and Son!
Anonymous said…
I'm still old-school enough to shy away from unibody, even with subframes to support the hitch. My issue with it is long-term rust, which I admit is of little concern where you go. If you don't need 4WD, I'd also personally stick with RWD because of my own limited experience with towing FWD, which can feel spooky in crosswinds and general handling at highway speeds. Can't explain that, though it may have to do more with the front weight bias and resulting front/rear spring rates, more that which wheels are powered. Some FWDs can be eager to swap ends on very slick surfaces when coasting solo into a turn, but there's no way to know ahead of time which might be bad actors. I've learned not to tow loads near the rated limit of any vehicle, particularly on those boasting of a "car-like ride". Overall tow ratings are easy to check off, but once you try to dig for tongue weight limits (good luck on some brands), that should shorten your list. Except for this last point, all this is just bias, so go with what you know. BTW, the dealer for my current vehicle actually encouraged me to bring my trailer on over and hitch up for a second test drive before making my decision. Compared to what I was already using, he knew it'd be a technical slam-dunk and nail the sale.
DougB
You were just looking at scraps of foam from old mattresses. I always save them because they are great for smooshing between stuff to protect them from scratches and the driver's ears from noise.

But in fact I already have downsized from 4.5 bicycles to 3, and I could easily hit 2 if there was a real need. If I could leave my road bike in someone's garage in Yuma, I would only have one bike, the mountain bike, in the cargo area of the tow vehicle.

I am also donating heavy tools to thrift stores.
You are right about the rust. My 1995 van doesn't have any rust on it except for what was done the first year of its life back East.

Thanks for the warning about towing with front wheel drive. I wasn't tempted to do so, but it's nice to hear it from someone with first hand experience.

I like your blog.
edlfrey said…
DougB could be right about FWD towing but that was not my experience. I have towed only with FWD so I don't know any differently. Two different FWD tow vehicles and two different trailers for about 30,000 miles, never had them 'feel spooky in crosswinds and general handling at highway speeds'. I was a shunpiker even then and my highway speeds were usually in the 55-60mph range so faster in winds could be a problem that I never experienced.
You didn't say whether it was an automatic transmission with 6 gears? I won't even consider a manual transmission for towing a trailer. There are few people who would, and for good reasons.
But how much did those trailers weigh?

It sounds tough on the constant-velocity (CV) joints on a front-wheel-drive (FWD) car to tow a trailer. And the suspension is squishier and weaker (?) in the front.

Tongue weight from the trailer increases traction and weight on the rear wheels and lowers weight and traction on the front wheels.


Leaf springs, solid axles, and differentials on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle are quite durable.
brokeboater said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm the same about manual trannies. Mine's a manual six on the shift. Tows great.

But they tell me the automatics get a bit better mileage.
edlfrey said…
VERY lightweight Teardrops, first one at about 675# the second around 500#. The tow vehicles were a 2003 MINI Cooper the second a 2005 1/2 Scion xB; both of them with 5 speed manual transmissions.

Everything you say is probably correct but I had no mechanical issues with either tow vehicle. I did have a problem with the torsion axles on the second trailer. Perhaps partially self induced with low tire pressure but the axles were replaced under warranty.