Skip to main content

New Rig Dreams

When your RV rig gets old you might as well start window shopping early, since finding something might take a long time. Of course, that problem is worse when the shopper is stubborn about camping in quiet and interesting places and avoiding unnecessary expenses and luxuries. You would make it easier on yourself, during the shopping process, if you thought like a mainstream RVer, but then the negative payoff would come later when you end up with a rig that is expensive and troublesome to repair, and you can't camp where you really want to camp. 

Here's my most recent heart-throb:


It's made by Tiger RV, circa 1990. What a nice camping experience these lucky people must have had! They had gotten to a campsite that big or "overhang-ey" rigs couldn't get to. They could walk right out of their rig to dozens of mountain bike/multi-purpose trails. Here is RV camping at its finest: the perfect balance of outdoor flavor combined with realistic and hard-shelled comfort.

Alas Toyota hasn't even made a compact pickup truck since 2005. Their Tacoma has become a victim of bloat. Why don't they make just one model of pickup if they are going to make the Tacoma so close to the Tundra? Thus modern Tiger RVs (made in Colorado, amazingly enough) are built on full-sized pickup truck bloat platforms. Sigh.

Actually I am barely willing to pay more than $2000 for the "housey" part of an RV. The real part of an RV is the engine and powertrain that make it move down the road. The "interior" stuff could be done easily enough by the owner, using thin plywood, and plastic boxes, especially if he understands electricity, solar equipment, etc.

I've long had an interest in box vans. I saw one in a parking lot and yakked it up with the owner for 20 minutes. By "box van" I mean the smallest size of "cubical U-Haul-type van," built on a cargo van chassis. The box is 10 feet long and about 8 feet wide, and just over 6 feet high (standing height). It's much roomier than a class B motorhome or a conversion van, but it's the same length.

Did you know that on Uhaul.com you can go to the bottom of the front page, click on "buy used trucks", and see a list of used box vans and box trucks available from them in big cities? But I'm not sure if you will find any low mileage ones. Also I don't know if the Dept. of Motor Vehicles requires a different type of license for them, or whether your insurance company will insure a "commercial" truck like this. But it's something to fantasize about. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
The Tiger CX is at the top of my list of "if I were to do it all over again" RVs. A newer one with a bigger, American chassis is fine for me. I'd trade mileage for the go-anywhere ability.
Lyn said…
My first RV (12 years ago) was the Tiger pop-up on a Tacoma truck bed - and I drove to Colorado (from NC) in January to pick it up! It truly went anywhere - however, as a woman traveling alone, not being able to just drive off without getting out of the back and walking around to the truck was its major drawback - one of the reasons I got rid of it.

Did you know the Provan (in SC) was made by the original designer of the Tiger - it is no longer removable from the truck bed, but combined on it. I really considered getting a Provan before I got my PleasureWay.

Lyn
Teri said…
I tried to find a used Tiger RV before I purchased the rig I have now. The new Tiger RV's are way too expensive.
TomInBellaVista said…
Where do the four bikes go?
Tom, I would have to downsize my stable of bicycles. Or rent storage. I hate the idea of storing bikes on the outside of a rig.
Lyn, I believe that Tiger has now become more a regular class C in the sense that you can walk from the "house" to the driver's seat.

A van-based motorhome might not be a "go anywhere" rig, but it's a lot closer to being so than most.
Tom said…
There are outfits that will add 4x4 capability to just about any van based Class B or C for around $8k to $10k.

Maybe even kits for a lot cheaper if you have mechanical skills and a family member or friend with some good tools and jacks who could put you up for a few days.
Tom, I've been a big fan of 4 wheel drive. I could buy a new travel trailer for the cost of going 4 wheel, and then live in that travel trailer 365 days per year, for probably the rest of my life.

A locking differential or traction control are far more cost effective.
Pat said…
Truckers under 10,000 GVW don't have to follow DOT rules. Not sure, but I bet that's the dividing line between commercial and pleasure. A small UHaul type might be under that weight. A cargo van or sprinter is under it.
Hi Boonie

I am building a one of a kind 7 x 16 cargo trailer conversion, mostly for fun & the learning experience & to include stuff that I personally really like. It has a 36' x 48" glass tile shower. 180,000 Btu endless Jacuzzi water heater. 1.1 gallon low flow faucet. Reverse osmoses water filter system with 2 tanks. 840 watt solar panels. "they make power in the rain too" 40,000 Btu single burner stove. LED lighting, 2 x 40 gal water tank - 30 watt 26" 1080p TV, Sony Blue Ray player, 400 amp hour batteries, 2 inverters MSW & PSW both. To go off road it would need 2 new axles Torsion spring -22.5 neg. Drop by and check it out... I would be interested in your thoughts ? TOOOO Expensive may be one of them ;-)

If I knew 3 years ago what I now know , and would be 20 years younger I would built what the two-vagabonds.de built & make my trailer more off road to be towed behind their truck.

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

not sure want happened to the last post ?? if it disappeared or not ?

Hi Boonie

I am building a one of a kind 7 x 16 cargo trailer conversion, mostly for fun & the learning experience & to include stuff that I personally really like. It has a 36' x 48" glass tile shower. 180,000 Btu endless Jacuzzi water heater. 1.1 gallon low flow faucet. Reverse osmoses water filter system with 2 tanks. 840 watt solar panels. "they make power in the rain too" 40,000 Btu single burner stove. LED lighting, 2 x 40 gal water tank - 30 watt 26" 1080p TV, Sony Blue Ray player, 400 amp hour batteries, 2 inverters MSW & PSW both. To go off road it would need 2 new axles Torsion spring -22.5 neg. Drop by and check it out... I would be interested in your thoughts ? TOOOO Expensive may be one of them ;-)

If I knew 3 years ago what I now know , and would be 20 years younger I would built what the two-vagabonds.de built & make my trailer more off road to be towed behind their truck.

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/
Pat, thank you. That helps.