Skip to main content

Annual Pilgrimage to Patagonia

In March I usually stay interested in the area south of Tucson, for a month. This year it looks like it will be closer to two months. The main attractions are the high grasslands and the Santa Rita mountains. The grasslands go up to 5000 feet, so you can stay comfortable almost to May.

Several years ago my standard (ammonia/hydrogen) RV frig went kaput when I was here. It turned out to be an interesting experiment to junk it and replace it with a homemade, super-insulated ice chest. It took three dreadful days in Lowe's and Walmart parking lots to finish the job.

I don't recommend the ice chest as a permanent solution, primarily because of the inconvenience and cost of block ice, but it's nice to know that it works well as a stopgap. After putting up with it for a couple years I bought a Whynter 12 volt refrigerator, with the high-efficiency compressor. It has worked well the last six months on a full time basis, and appears to be the permanent solution.

Just a few miles south of Tucson is the Helvetia mining area. You do find some good rockhounding in the arroyos around there. It's no surprise why; you are just on the other side of the valley from the giant Pima copper mine.



Full time RVers are supposed to be rootless vagabonds. How then can you explain my sappy sentimentalism when I revisit one of my little valentines, like Patagonia? Why do I always choose towns where I don't fit? Everybody here is foo-foo New Age, Democrat, Green, has a butterfly garden promoting world peace, eats organic food, etc. I can't believe there are that many people who need to buy useless trinkets art, or pay for yoga or pilates instruction. Most people in town are broke, but housing is expensive and the hippie organic food boutique charges confiscatory prices. I can identify with the birders a little, and would do so even more if they would just eschew those Tilley hats.

For some reason I overlook all that. Patagonia makes me feel human; this can be felt most sweetly after a few days in Tucson. Maybe it is the same feeling that I had rockhounding close to that huge mine.
Recall that Thoreau once walked across Manhattan and reported that he hadn't met one man who was actually alive.

Comments

Box Canyon said…
Did you forget how you tried to swear me to secrecy about blabbing over Patagonia's funk? and now you let the cat out of the bag to the world?
Does this mean the Little Pueblo is next?
Goose Gander.
Ted said…
And had there been a second Thoreau-like person crossing Manhatten at the same time, and they had passed by each other, he would have reported the same thing. You see what you want to see.

Nothing wrong with revisiting a favorite place. Enjoy!
Box Canyon, Gee I don't remember scolding you for giving Patagonia publicity. But I'll take your word for it.

I'm not worried about it becoming popular. It is too close to the border. There used be several RV boondocking where I currently am. Now, apparently, everybody is too afraid.

Ted, good point about good ol' Henry.
TomInBellaVista said…
Roger Ailles chooses to live in a wealthy enclave on the Hudson River that owes much of it's attraction to the efforts of leftie environmentalists. Is this not like your attraction to Patagonia?
TominOrlando, there might be some truth to that. The hippies and Greens are fighting off the copper mine here. I think it would be good for the economy in general, but it would detract from visiting the town.
bayrider said…
Howdy. I just came across your blog the other day and I see you're in one of my favorite places in the Tucson vicinity. I discovered it years ago while touring on my motorcycle. I was just up in Saddlebrook tending to my folks the other week but didn't get a chance to go down to Patagonia, dang. What a great little town and the surrounding countryside is fantastic, like an oasis.

Like you, I am basically conservative but my friends have always been kind of liberal and I always gravitated to the liberal meccas, like San Francisco and Austin. Now that I live in rural Shasta county CA, land of the right wing obese and meth heads I miss those liberal artsy types with their healthy foods and lifestyles. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

I am about ready to ditch this property and hit the road in the RV myself, but for the moment I have to content myself by living vicariously through blogs like yours, thanks.
Bayrider, It was nice to hear that I'm not the only one who is attracted to towns where he doesn't fit in!
Unknown said…
I wouldn't say they're rootless vagabonds but rather people who's roots stretch far and wide.

After all when the world is your back yard, you gotta inspect the far corners every now and again :)
gumo said…
How do you make those strik through characters? I've wondered how to do that for a long time.
gumo, first select the word you want to strikethrough of course. Then go to the top of the editing window in Blogger: the abc-with-a-strikethrough icon is in the middle of all the editing icons. (The horizontal line is hardly visible on the "abc", so you might never have noticed it.)