Skip to main content

Mystery Truck

Life has become a social whirl for the dogs and me here in Ajo, AZ. We had a reunion with Ed Frey and the new gal in his life, Patches. I was a bit nervous about my Coffee Girl (kelpie) meeting a muscular American Staffordshire bull terrier, but it went OK after the first couple minutes. Soon we were walking off leash on a small patch of BLM land near town. It is a rare treat for me to become acquainted with an RVer who likes long walks, especially with a dog. I predict great success between Ed and Patches.

Ed has an interesting and practical RV lifestyle. He travels full-time in a moderate-sized Class C motorhome, with no small-towed-car behind it. He'll live in an RV park for one month, pay a reasonable monthly rate, and then move on. For entertainment and exercise, he is a walker, not a hiker; he simply begins walking from his own front door. A dog along will make his walks much more fun.

Then I went on a couple hikes with an old RV friend who dropped out to become a townie in Tucson. He met a gal (the two-legged kind) in the huge hiking club there. In the summer they like to volunteer at national parks or monuments, but it was always hard to find housing since the park service has such an easy time getting volunteers who have their own RVs. After fighting the system for a couple years, they are considering getting a Class C motorhome, so they were renting one for this weekend to get a feel for it.

It might amuse the reader to imagine ol' Boonie hosting a couple RV newbies, and answering all their questions. I tried to be helpful rather than impatient, but I'm sure they heard a lot of "No, that's not the way to think about it" from my mouth.

On our hike around Ajo Peak we encountered this weird old truck.


It was on a private patch of land. The oddest thing was that the tires were pumped up. Surely this ol' thing couldn't still be used?


One thing for sure is that the warm sunny weather wore Coffee Girl out. But she was happy about it:


Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like a great way to begin the new year! A balance of solitude and friendship! Best wishes for 2012 Boonie!
Ed said…
Thanks for the kind words about Patches and myself. I was as nervous, maybe more so, about the meeting between your Coffee Girl and my Patches. It was a huge relief to me that although Patches is a pushy "bully" dog by ancestry she takes a rebuffing in stride and does not retaliate.

Our run/walk today was even better than the first one for both the dogs and the scenic beauty for this walker. The dog "pushing and shoving" was short lived and I think the two girls may become good friends within time.

Our conversations have been leading in that same direction. It is good to have some company for a change, it lets me ease out of my semi-recluse mode.
TomInBellaVista said…
I think that truck rig could be for drilling water wells?
Maybe so. There had been some kind of drilling there, I think.