Skip to main content

Lay's Potato Chips of Sandstone

A big part of the art of camping is stepping away from the 'looked over', and wandering amongst the 'overlooked'. The best way to do this is to camp where the scenery is subtle or mediocre in the immediate foreground, but more promising in the distance. Naturally that provides the incentive to go for a walk, right from the RV's door.

But you still go with low expectations. You have to try to be interested in what there is to see, and you have to look for ways to experience it beyond mere 'looking'. Usually, the surprises are on the positive side.

In that spirit Coffee Girl and I took off on a day that was supposed to be dreadful, but in fact, was delicious: what a luxury it is to leave the wide-brimmed sombrero at home, and welcome the sun's warmth onto my face, while enjoying the bracing chill.

We encountered the thinnest lamellas of sandstone that I've ever seen. They were fragile and nearly exfoliated.


Comments

Ed said…
You have given me my word for the day - "lamellas".

I'm enjoying your slow trip down stream to the warmer climes where I now reside.
Thanks Ed, but I only wish that I could continue a "slow trip downstream." Perhaps "stick-slip" is the right word for what's about to happen, with all the high ground isolating the warmer valley towns.
D0N said…
Is the dog a blue heeler? He sure looks like one. Check out my heeler on my blog too. They're great dogs!
Don, I originally thought that Coffee Girl was a herding dog mix from the animal shelter, but she is actually an Australian kelpie, which is similar in size and function to blue heelers.