Skip to main content

San Juan Postcard with an Excuse


Ouray, CO. So why would a reputed curmudgeon, who typically belittles postcard scenery, bother with this postcard, taken today on a hike with both of my dogs? The key word is 'both'. My little poodle is acting older now that he is almost 16 and a half years old. That's like a person in their eighties. So I haven't been taking him on hikes with my younger dog, Coffee Girl.

Today we actually drove (blush) the van up to a trailhead. The little poodle was so frisky that he wouldn't stay in the van and sleep like I expected. He insisted on going on the hike. I had to improvise a leash, since his collar wasn't even installed. Instead of tiring in five minutes, he charged the leash, and acted like he could go for hours.

This isn't the first time that I've underestimated him. By the time we crossed the creek and got back in the van, I was getting pretty misty-eyed just thinking about the wonderful life we've had together and how, miraculously, there's still some left.

Back at the van, he didn't want to get in. He was on an endorphin high.


As usual it seems that dogs are necessary for a hike or outing to make a strong impression on me. The scenery, fall colors and all, just doesn't cut it, by itself.

Comments

Andrea said…
My dog, Uri, is my best friend and goes most places with me.

We love each other !

Uri means "God's Light".