Skip to main content

Punked Out

I was laboring in the dirt under the hot sun like a peasant in the fields: shoveling, jerking weeds, carting them away without a burro to help. Geesh, the sort of things a guy has to do to get world class scenery, ideal weather, and eye-popping hiking trails, with free camping and amenities in Ouray CO.

But my back-breaking toil and suffering momentarily abated when I saw this little guy in the newly disturbed ground.


I've never seen such a spiked, punk caterpillar before. Even more than his interesting appearance was his attitude: he was frisky. It's not exaggerating to say that he was a sentient being, instead of the usual slug-like personality. When I brought the camera in, he seemed to look (?) at it: who the hell are you and what's your problem, the look seemed to say. Then again, maybe it was the other end that was aiming.

Comments

heyduke50 said…
that is one cool cat... probably from LA...
Ted said…
That is one weird-looking caterpillar. Now I'm curious as to what kind of butterfly (or moth?) it metamorphs into.
heyduke50 and Ted, wouldn't it be something if the caterpillar metamorphed into a plain brown moth?
It looks like one of my fly fishing flies. But I would never put a hook in that little guy.
Ted said…
Yeah, Boonie, I was thinking how disappointing it would be to have it metamorph into something drab and boring. Now I'm even more curious. What kind of moth/butterfly is it?
My nature consultant thinks this is a milkweed tussock, which you can find on Wikipedia. I think he/she is right. Wiki also shows the moth: fairly dull brown/grey.
Ted said…
Ah, just another grey moth. Curiosity satisfied, thanks.
Looks like my son, ages 11-14.

Roxanne