Skip to main content

End of the Noble Experiment?

I was enjoying my car-free lifestyle in an RV park in the Little Pueblo. It was a nice and roomy park with 50% overnighters and 50% monthlies. The monthlies used to be older RVers who had gotten off the road for one reason or another, or maybe a younger person who had a job in town. But lately we've been taken over by miners and construction crews. It's a noisy and rough crowd. I no longer like living here. And yesterday I had an encounter with one of the rowdies that made me think it's just plain dangerous to be here.

A camper can't do anything about a degenerating camping experience. The campground is a business; he can only love it or leave it. That's why God put wheels under his house.

An RVer certainly pays a price for becoming immobile: he can't just skedaddle anymore. It takes time and money to escape now. No wonder I used to be on the road most of the time! Even when you find a town that you could live in, there is no guarantee that the RV parks are desirable; but they probably are for at least awhile.

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh oh... Itchy feet syndrome -- or at least new scenery. I'm rooting for you!
Itchy feet? I've never had itchy feet, even when I was a newbie. I was more interested in going to a good place and staying there until it was no longer working out.
heyduke50 said…
yep... i agree and it sounds like in this case it is no longer working out...
The initial cost of a used tow vehicle will soon wear off and you will be glad to have wheels that roll again. If I know you, you'll use them sparingly... only to migrate short distances that bring appropriate elevational changes in climate. I see your vehicle as playing an enabler role. I know you poo on variety and change as unnecessary and expensive trinkets, but I also know how much you would love boondocking in the pined and cool outskirts of little villages like Ouray... where you could bike into town each morning for coffee, a donut and high speed Wi Fi. The money spent on the RV park rent could go for gasoline and other things deemed essential... like new laptops when the old ones finally crash.

You don't need any road fuel for your evolved blog; it is doing fine without it. But I must confess that my favorite posts are when you backslide into reflecting on past travels.
sigh.
Thanks heyduke50. It's a shame that a guy has no power to change anything in an RV park other than hitch up and leave.

Box Canyon Blogger, well of course your favorite posts are travel-related: you are an addict! Seriously, I have no interest in following the travel blog format. They give you nothing to think about, and there are enough of those silly things already.
Brian said…
hmmm... should a guy have the "power to change anything in an RV park" ?

I mean... what would/do WE all say when someone tries to change US?

In all life, that's really the only thing that you have the power or moral authority to change, isn't it?... Yourself... your location... your... situation...
Brian, neighbors' rights end where my nose and ears begin. Getting them to pipe down is all I wanted.
Brian said…
oops! Agreed! a little "Community Etiquette" is one of the 'costs' of "Community" and not really a "Change" ... more like, minimum, baseline, courtesy and common sense :)