Skip to main content

Downtown Criterium, Day 4


I don't know of anything that makes the menacing whrrr'ing sound of a peloton of cyclists in a criterium race, especially when they are descending one of the hills on the back side of the course.


During my RV traveling years I always fantasized living downtown in an old mining town. There are only three or four real possibilities in each state. I have started to look for an apartment in downtown Little Pueblo, where unfortunately the second stories of most commercial buildings are empty or abandoned.

I wonder how prevalent this sort of fantasy is for baby-boomers who grew up in standard suburban Dullsvilles, with 100% reliance on automobiles built into the lifestyle; there's not so much as a sidewalk in those places.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think that quite a few boomers would go for living in a downtown area, especially if groceries, restaurants, libraries, etc are nearby. I witnessed a revival of a downtown area in a small Kansas town, so your own interest doesn't surprise me at all.

Tom in Orlando
Tom, a small Kansas town, eh? That would be interesting to see.

It's not so easy to revive downtowns. I've seen developers in Colorado refit old buildings into yuppie condos, and then charge San Francisco rents. (Meanwhile the best-paying job in town is still a part-time job at the dollar store.)

Anyway, glad you saw a successful version of downtown renovation.
Anonymous said…
Maybe the town really isn't that small, it's the county seat of Saline County, Salina to be precise. Population is about 44K and has stores and shops (outlying, not downtown) for a population of 100K or more as it's a regional shopping center. It's 450 miles to Denver, with almost nothing in between.

Tom in Orlando