Skip to main content

Wolf at the Door

I woke up at 1 a.m. last week. Something was different. I was just too cold to sleep, despite wearing a winter parka to bed, as well as boots, polartec pants, and a warm skull cap, all underneath two layers of warm sleeping bags. The catalytic propane heater was set on high; those things are fine for a mobile RVer who chases the warmth in winter, but in a real winter they must be supplemented with an electric heater that blows the air around a little. For the first time the electrical heater also needed to be clicked on high.



I made breakfast, not because I was hungry, but just for the heat from the stove and for an excuse to stand and stomp my feet.

The water pump wouldn't turn on of course. (I never use water hoses from the campsite spigot in winter.) But tonight was a first: the toilet froze. It was necessary to boil water on the stove and then pour it into the toilet to thaw the trap door. The water that I spilled on the bathroom floor soon froze.

The thermometer said it was 37 F inside the RV; but it wasn't on the floor. The local weather station reported minus 2 F outside. Well what do you know! I never thought an RVer could survive in a little cracker box in sub-zero temperatures.

Will the Boonie survive until sunrise? Tune in next episode for the thrilling conclusion.

Comments

XXXXX said…
I am impressed, indeed. I'm waiting for the next exciting episode, but in the meantime, just keep those dogs warm, ya' hear?
Unknown said…
Wow. You are one tough guy. Richard Byrd and Boonie seem to share the ability to live in a world of frozen.
1 More Mile! said…
Where are you?

And why isn't the gas fired, forced air unit working in your rig?
Anonymous said…
Well, it's a day later and we've heard nothing from Boonie. I'm beginning to worry.

Tom in Orlando
Wandrin and bp, I'm glad you're impressed. You were supposed to be!

1 More Mile!, I downsized the conventional RV furnace during my first year of boondocking. Even today, in an RV park, it would wake me up as the fan clicked on and off.

I am at 6000 feet, in southern New Mexico.
Al Bossence said…
Yikes, worse than here .. the bedroom temp here was 41 when I was able to pry my frozen eyes open.
We keep the doors closed to mainly heat the LV/Kitchen area. It was actually colder here than our place in Ontario.

Kelly
Tom, it was your chance to organize a rescue mission. (grin)

Bayfield, your neighbors back in Ontario must think you need a remedial course in choosing snowbird locations. But what do they know -- they probably go to Florida. (sorry, Tom.)