Skip to main content

Creepie Crawlie



This creepie-crawlie was on the pavement one cold morning recently. If you count those two spindly forelegs, there are eight total. But scorpions have high tails and a pair of front pincers. Perhaps this is an immature scorpion in one of its numerous manifestations (molts). (The photos on the internet never show immature critters.)

I gave icy glares to passing motorists. Somehow the creepie-crawlie made it through the car tires without being squished. Forgive me for not carrying it to the other side of the road.

Comments

Jude said…
Hi--

That crawlie is a Jerusalem cricket.
Thanks Jude. I've never heard of such a critter. Wikipedia and its references confirmed your ID. Too bad the article didn't explain what those two spindly fore-appendages are. I was counting them as legs, thus making me think of something with eight legs.