Skip to main content

Aesop's Flickers

So now I learn that a commenter thinks I watch too many movies. Hmmpf. Anyone who subscribes to Netflix watches a lot of movies of course. Some people watch their Netflix movies instead of watching boob toob sitcoms, soaps, "news", etc.

Actually the case could be made that I watch few movies if "watching" refers to paying attention to a story. The stories are usually pretty uninteresting. If you've seen one adulterous love triangle, with its psycho-sexual obsessions, you've seen them all. Then there's rags to riches, revenge, who dunnit, poor boy meets rich girl, honest poor guy versus evil pol/priest/businessman, etc. I'll bet that a discriminating movie junkie could count on his fingers the movies that had good scripts, such as Network, All About Eve, Twelve Angry Men, Bridge over the River Kwai, Ikiru, The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Shakespeare in Love, The Mission, and Traitor.

In addition to good soundtracks and cinematography, the real reason for watching movies is to mine them for metaphors. Classic movies provide metaphors in the same way as Aesop's Fables, the Bible, Shakespeare, Boswell's Johnson, and Star Trek episodes. In the movies the metaphors are situational and visual, which can be impressive. 

You'd think that the recent commenter, visual sybarite (grin) that he is, would appreciate the mind-painting that comes from shopping around in the movies for images.

Comments

Bob said…
Another movie buff recommends "Winter's Bone" I give it a 7 on my 1-10 scale.

ramblinbob
Bob,But that's a new movie, isn't it? Why would you want to do that to me? (grin)

Actually I need ideas these days for my Netflix queue; I was getting ready to cancel the subscription. So I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Bob said…
OOPS! I forgot for a moment that you're domicile has wheels. There's always Redbox but they probably wouldn't have it. "Zero Effect" have you seen it. I personally view myself as somewhat like Daryl. It's a slow starter though. Give it some time if you choose it.

Bob
Sybarite eh? Good word and accurate description. In fact, a great name for my next "idealess" blog... just petty gossip and purdy pictures. The idea of being a sybarite appeals to non-intellectuals; I will always prefer sybariety to occupierty.

Whether one takes glorious refuge in movie mine-shafts or in vapid, self-indulgent ruminations of idle chit chat, one persons refuge is another persons prison ("Myra Breckinridge," 1970, and I'm sorry but most of the Star Trek episodes, metaphors or not).

I did, however, find humorous relief in "A Fish Called Wanda" last night. Nobody's perfect.
Hee, hee. I'm glad you took it right, BC Sybarite.
Bob, just finished Winter's Bones. Thanks for a good recommendation. It wasn't Hollywood at all. Different.
Bob said…
I have two more movies for you.
Neither Hollywood. Frozen River
and
Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus. Unless you grew up in the deep south, this one is a must see. IMHO

Bob