Skip to main content

Boys and their Toys

In over a decade of full-time RVing I've seldom had the chance to hike or bicycle with another RVer, their proclivities and demographics being what they are. And I've never had the chance to hike with another camper, my dog and his dog, the hiker personality-type being what it is. I've tried to accept things as they are, without too much complaining.

So I want to honor the occasion by bragging it up. My dog, Coffee Girl, and I went for a hike with a fellow camper and his Aussie shepherd, here shown getting suited up with water and snacks.
 

Coffee Girl hasn't gone for a car ride in two years so she was delighted even before the hike began. It was better than a car ride: it was in the other camper's new Jeep Wrangler! She and the other dog disported on and off the trail all the way to the top. They're both herding group dogs, and are of the same size and age.

All good things come to he who waits, apparently. But 12 or 13 years seems a bit excessive to me. I'm happy to have had this opportunity, but the other camper thinks that women are important, so I expect to see one come along soon and rub out our little "boys and their dogs" hiking club. It's an old story that any long-time single man understands.

Comments

"but the other camper thinks that women are important"
This seems to imply that you don't agree...
Where's the feminine rage, the public outcry.
I can't believe that I get accused of cynicism. Instead of getting in, say, three hikes with my friend and our dogs before the Female Establishment moves in to destroy everything, It is actually coming today. So, one social hike in 13 years.