Skip to main content

Teddy Bear Cholla, part 2

Wickenburg AZ, a couple winters ago. My noble experiment has hit a snag. I was trying to improve the winter RV boondock camping experience by tolerating cooler weather, in order to find prettier land and less crowded camping. But lately the weather has been wet, rather than just cool. I don't know if I could ever readjust to wet weather again.

I wasn't the only the person standing on the bridge over the mighty Hassayampa "River", gawking at it. I took some photos but won't show them since there are readers north and east who refuse to be wowed by water flowing through a river.
 

The dogs and I headed up to Vulture Peak, right from the trailer door, by screaming up Cemetery Wash. It is amazing how you can play with dry washes and the ridges between them. Day after day you can walk the same basic area, but small variations make the loop interesting.

There are a lot of horsemen in the Wickenburg area. Normally horseshoes are written intaglio into a dirt road. But these are actually standing in bas-relief. How could that be possible? It also seems unlikely that spider webs could hold so many heavy water drops.


I kept my eyes open for our old nemesis, teddy bear cholla. Last year my little poodle had a terrible experience with this evil plant, just a couple miles away from here. Did he remember?


Comments

I remember our hike to Vulture mine, and the peak. It can't be that much cooler in old Wick., but rain makes it feel that way I guess. It was over 90 degrees the time we tried to stay in that area for a while one November. Had to run the air conditioner (yes, we were in an RV park. It backed up to the "MIghty Hassayampa," a mere trickle at the time.