Skip to main content

The Boonie and the Black Bear

The artsie towns between Santa Fe and Taos are quiet interesting. I say that even though I have no real appreciation for art of that type. But I like the decayed, funky, impoverished towns. Many houses had adobe walls and corrugated, galvanized roofs. My camera is a sucker for every one of these wrecks.
 I drove the back way into Taos, through more funky towns. It was a high altitude route, through the Picuris Mountains. We had just started our descent to Taos when I got closer to a bear than at any time in my life. Glad I was in the van. How could such a large and fat animal  scramble up a steep, high embankment with such agility and speed? At the top of the embankment there was a barbed wire fence that he somehow got through with no difficulty.  By now I had stopped my RV and was looking up at him, no more than 100 feet away. He looked right at me for about four seconds, and then ran off.

Comments